Sunny9072

Adler 30-10 Upper Tension Issue

Hello,

I have an Adler 30-10 that has a death grip on the upper thread.

The plates DO separate when the lift lever is up and a tiny amount of thread is pulled from the spool when the needle is going into material, but when it lifts up the plates are so firmly locked down that the  thread is simply over-pulled for the take up lever to rise without making a pop sound.

I've read through all the posts and done all the recommended settings but even when the upper tension screw is almost undone the plates don't release enough for the thread to ease through the plates enough at highest lever rise.

This high tension is causing the material to gather up and makes the bobbin thread lie flat on top of the stitch.

Could someone post a picture of the adjustment area so I can maybe get those plates to give up thread at the right time?

Thanks to all for their knowledge and hopefully I can get a good stitch from this machine very soon.

please post pictures of your machine and the thread path. Or can you post a short youtube video?

What the thread thickness you are using?

W/o sitting in front of your machine the 1st think I would try is shorten the top tension spring. Then - usually there is a thin felt or leather disc under the top tension discs - it should be approx 1mm tick - if thicker it could increases the tension.

If your machine has a thread guide instead of a oil cup (later Class 30 models often do no have an oil cup) let the thread just run through 1 or 2 holes.

Edited by Northmount
changed patch to path

Thanks so much for your offer of help:)

I will take some video and pics in the light of day tomorrow, I tried this evening but they just lacked good clarity:) I do have the thin disc under the top tension discs. The needle is a Groz-Beckert 29x4

IMG_0277.jpg.73627f91534c4f780d56355848713ed2.jpg

Here are some pictures of the Adler 30-10. I am not sure of the thread size since it was included with the machine and labels are missing. I put the thicker thread on top and the slightly less thick, softer thread in the bobbin. I will try to upload a video real quick like.

IMG_0289.JPG5ab5771f67802_IMG_0287(1).jpg.96f73eaadb9f6d5bdbb4e6fb5c4387d6.jpg

IMG_0288 (1).jpg

Edited by Sunny9072

Have you tried the thinner thread on both the top and bottom?  Also, get some new thread of a known size, that is within the specs for the machine and try it out.  Eliminate extra twists and turns around any posts.

Tom

I have tried using thin threads but the upper tension grip remains cinched tight. Machine is threaded correctly, I have the original manual and have double checked that.

I think I will try another tension spring  that is lighter duty or shorter and see if that might work. The disc under both plates is original and I have cleaned the plate areas and there doesn't seem to be any rub or catch areas.

Even when I have gotten it to sew nice stitches the upper tension is still over tight,  I don't want to cause my machine unnecessary wear from the overpulling on the upper thread :)

Edited by Sunny9072

can´t tell from the Video whats wrong. So from what I n´see it is working normal - I would check if someone probably put a disc between the tenison spring and the small cup the spring sits in (who knows). I´d also try a different thread - the thread looks like old heavy duty probably pre-waxed cotton thread. Try #96 polyester thread. When you have new thread check the bottom tension - seems to be too low (probably).

Can you post a picture how the thread runs through the oil cup.

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

I compressed the spring a bit with pliers and switched the bobbin winder nut for the bobbin tension nut and that has taken enough pressure off to allow good stitching.

Shortening the spring would have definitely  helped too,  but since I don't have a spare I'm hesitant to change it up very much. If I find another spring I will definitely do it though.

Thanks again!  :)