WilburLeather

Using sandpaper in leatherworking

Hey guys, if you're interested in learning about using sandpaper in your leatherwork, I just uploaded an in-depth video about it on my YouTube Channel, so click here if you're interested. I really want to know what you guys think, so if you watched the video, please leave a comment with your thoughts.

If you don't have the time to watch the video, basically, I go over how sandpaper is useful for 4 main things: cleaning up your edges, shaping your edges, smoothing out the back side of your leather, and fixing dying mistakes you have made on your leather.

Edited by WilburLeather

Well,you're giving good info that hasn't been done to death( if at all),so that makes it good in my book! Your demo is all in the shot which is another plus. I think you did a good job!

I liked it, i have done woodworking in the past and as i began to understand what i was trying to do with a burnishing agent/tool I figured sandpaper would be good to get edges even, and have used it as a fix for when my edger had slipped or skipped a spot rounding off corners.  I also use it after a first coat if i'm using edge dressing on leather wallets that don't burnish well.  Thanks for taking the time to post up a video, looking forward to more.

I forgot to add, i was working on a wallet with some low grade economy veg and it had alot of raised bumps on the grain side.  I didn't realize it until after I had dyed and finished and ran my fingers across it.  I decided it would be as easy as sanding some wood down but after i hit it with some sanding i actually liked the look i got.  I used fiebings mahogany and when i sanded the tops of the raised areas really started showing the red through so i lightly finished sanding the rest of the area, and then resealed it!