Sanch

Tired of junk skiver

Because most of my projects never needed to have the edges skived more than what I could do with the cheap safety skiver I never invested anymore then the $9 that I think I spent on it. But recently I found myself in need of a better way to skive the edges for wallets so after some research and watching some YouTube videos I decided on a combination design which I think turned out okay. It is very functional and the steel is good as I have used it for making my 1/4 round knife and several other knives that I have. Anyhow here it is. The steel is L6, the wood scale is jatoba finished with pure beeswax. I may in the future remake the same design as well as a couple more just to see if they work but for now this one works great thanks for looking and as always comments are welcome!20180324_103505_resized.jpg.4fe20862d8cd5af1d64f794b1dab8b03.jpg20180324_104604_resized.jpg.64aae2a93fc885e8311df93ba566b752.jpg20180324_104616_resized.jpg.e195f1d88b59b4012881e8f709d8fc16.jpg20180324_104551_resized.jpg.da736c093057c4048c3b8b07b4da2f25.jpg20180324_104642_resized.jpg.4f0aa66e84a75634abf35f0d818cdbc0.jpg

I couldn't find an emoji bowing down to the floor. Nice piece! any thoughts on the beeswax over carnuba?

8 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

I couldn't find an emoji bowing down to the floor. Nice piece! any thoughts on the beeswax over carnuba?

Thanks,  as far as the beeswax versus carnauba I have no clue Beeswax is what I have so that's what I use and it hasn't failed me yet on any of my knife handles I should say on any of my leatherworking knife handles for any of my other knives that I have made and use and see hard use I use something totally different for a final finish on the handle

That looks great. Is it sharp on 2 edges?

1 minute ago, bikermutt07 said:

That looks great. Is it sharp on 2 edges?

It actually has a chisel grind so one major bevel then a secondary bevel and the back side is flat

Always love your handy work Sanch. 

Thanks, but, I was asking if like both edges either side of that round corner were sharpened?

1 hour ago, Sanch said:

Thanks,  as far as the beeswax versus carnauba I have no clue Beeswax is what I have so that's what I use and it hasn't failed me yet on any of my knife handles I should say on any of my leatherworking knife handles for any of my other knives that I have made and use and see hard use I use something totally different for a final finish on the handle

I just got some carnauba, I kept seeing it in wood use. How did you attach the wood?

3 hours ago, Bodean said:

Always love your handy work Sanch. 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Thanks, but, I was asking if like both edges either side of that round corner were sharpened?

Oh! Duh! Lol sorry bro cranial flatulation on my part!! Yes only the rounded corner of that side is sharp!

2 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

I just got some carnauba, I kept seeing it in wood use. How did you attach the wood?

Simple marine grade epoxy no need for pins no stress on the scale..  

2 hours ago, Sanch said:

Thanks!

Oh! Duh! Lol sorry bro cranial flatulation on my part!! Yes only the rounded corner of that side is sharp!

Hahahaha, so is the end sharp, or is it like a meat clever?

47 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Hahahaha, so is the end sharp, or is it like a meat clever?

Ya the end is sharp all the way across perpendicular to the handle, there more better? 

2 hours ago, Sanch said:

Thanks!

beautiful blade. what marine grade epoxy? I use JB weld for serious jobs.

1 minute ago, Mjolnir said:

beautiful blade. what marine grade epoxy? I use JB weld for serious jobs.

T-88

3 hours ago, Sanch said:

Ya the end is sharp all the way across perpendicular to the handle, there more better? 

Now I understand ;)