CLebel

My first attempt at tooling leather

Here is my first attempt at trying to tool leather, clearly I have much to learn.

IMG_20180324_185158.jpg

Not bad, way better than my first attempt! Keep going you only get better!

Looks pretty good to me. Where some people (ok ... me!) mess up a little is, not properly joining up the pointed end of the petal/leaf etc. Sometimes over or undershooting one side or the other.

You got those points done really well.

G'Day, Thats actually quite good CLebel.   My first attempt was ...well...... rubbish :wacko: 

I knew absolutely zilch about leather long ago , I even used some old boot polish to colour my first attempts. 

The only way is up from here. Enjoy the journey :) 

HS

On 3/24/2018 at 10:01 PM, Rockoboy said:

Looks pretty good to me. Where some people (ok ... me!) mess up a little is, not properly joining up the pointed end of the petal/leaf etc. Sometimes over or undershooting one side or the other.

You got those points done really well.

Rocko, if you want perfect points, then intentionally fail to join the point lines by about 1/64" and then let your beveler create the point.  Works every time.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

22 hours ago, sheathmaker said:

intentionally fail to join the point lines by about 1/64" and then let your beveler create the point

Thanx Paul. That is a great tip that I will definitely remember. I have just been taking a lot of care to make sure the lines don't overlap, but now I am on my way in the right direction!

That's better than my first go at it.  Keep at it and you'll be surprised at how fast you progress.

I think you have done really well.

It may help if you use a background tool for the outside parts as it will enhance your flower.  Practice the background tool on a scrap first as it can be challenging to get consistent results.