This is a six card holder wallet with four cash/extra card pockets,  The back is Horween horse butt and the interior is French Calf hide from Springfield Leather.  The interior is all the same leather and the same color just different light.  The interior is machine stitched and the perimeter is hand stitched with white 277 twisted polyester thread.  Sorry about the cut off picture.

IMG_0050.jpg

+1 for the edges. Are the stitching lines below the card cuttings decorative? Also, I'd like to see a picture of the back, I love the look of that Horse leather. It's on the list of materials I have to try out.. 

24 minutes ago, charon said:

+1 for the edges. Are the stitching lines below the card cuttings decorative? Also, I'd like to see a picture of the back, I love the look of that Horse leather. It's on the list of materials I have to try out.. 

You can get the horse butt strips from Maverick. They are 6 bucks a foot. But each piece is a maximum of 3.5 feet.akes them easy to aquire. I really like them.

Great job on that wallet.

Edited by bikermutt07

44 minutes ago, charon said:

I used the card holder system that Aaron from Maker's Leather Supply uses.  It is Tyvek Building Wrap bonded to the leather with 1/4" double side adhesive tape.  Aaron doesn't sew the Tyvek to the leather, but I just want to make sure that the tape doesn't let go in the future some time.  You can see the system Aaron uses on his Youtube videos under Maker's leather Supply.  He also sells the acrylic plastic templates for 3 different wallets, very professional made with a laser.  Here is a picture of the back.  I didn't make the beat selection of the horse hide and there are a few imperfections in the leather.  The Horse Butts are seconds so there are some grain issues in some of them.  You can see a better example of Horse Butt leather on another post I make under Passport Card holder wallet.   

Thank you ABR

IMG_0049.jpg

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

You can get the horse butt strips from Maverick. They are 6 bucks a foot. But each piece is a maximum of 3.5 feet.akes them easy to aquire. I really like them.

Yeah that's not too expensive but in my case the piece would be $20 and shipping+customs would probably be around $50 though I didn't ask for a shipping quote at SL yet.

1 hour ago, ABR said:

I used the card holder system that Aaron from Maker's Leather Supply uses.  It is Tyvek Building Wrap bonded to the leather with 1/4" double side adhesive tape.  Aaron doesn't sew the Tyvek to the leather, but I just want to make sure that the tape doesn't let go in the future some time.  You can see the system Aaron uses on his Youtube videos under Maker's leather Supply.  He also sells the acrylic plastic templates for 3 different wallets, very professional made with a laser.  Here is a picture of the back.  I didn't make the beat selection of the horse hide and there are a few imperfections in the leather.  The Horse Butts are seconds so there are some grain issues in some of them.  You can see a better example of Horse Butt leather on another post I make under Passport Card holder wallet.   

Interesting, never heard of Tyvek wrap used in wallets, does it sizzle when you bend the wallet or do you hear it? I would have sewn it too, glue is doomed to loosen and you don't want your wallet to go to the bin because of that part. I love the outside, marks on the grain give the pieces a story, I enjoy working them into my pieces. I also like the contrasting thread.

34 minutes ago, charon said:

Yeah that's not too expensive but in my case the piece would be $20 and shipping+customs would probably be around $50 though I didn't ask for a shipping quote at SL yet.

Interesting, never heard of Tyvek wrap used in wallets, does it sizzle when you bend the wallet or do you hear it? I would have sewn it too, glue is doomed to loosen and you don't want your wallet to go to the bin because of that part. I love the outside, marks on the grain give the pieces a story, I enjoy working them into my pieces. I also like the contrasting thread.

Using Tyvek is a real innovative idea.  It is a lot more durable than light fabric and holds a crease really well.  You can buy a smaller quantity of Tyvek on Amazon so you don't have to buy a whole roll.  There is no movement in the Tyvek so there is no sound or noise, it is creased real flat.  There is a story about how I came to sew the way I do.  I don't have as much slope in the stitches as the British Saddle stitch, but I only use a pricking iron on thin soft leather and I pierce the holes as I go one at a time using the smallest awl blade that will allow the needles to go threw leather without catching on the leather.  I also taper the ends of the thread so I can use smaller needles.  On the 277 thread I am using a #4 harness/saddlers needle. 

On 3/26/2018 at 9:22 AM, ABR said:

Using Tyvek is a real innovative idea.  It is a lot more durable than light fabric and holds a crease really well.  You can buy a smaller quantity of Tyvek on Amazon so you don't have to buy a whole roll.  There is no movement in the Tyvek so there is no sound or noise, it is creased real flat.  There is a story about how I came to sew the way I do.  I don't have as much slope in the stitches as the British Saddle stitch, but I only use a pricking iron on thin soft leather and I pierce the holes as I go one at a time using the smallest awl blade that will allow the needles to go threw leather without catching on the leather.  I also taper the ends of the thread so I can use smaller needles.  On the 277 thread I am using a #4 harness/saddlers needle. 

Have you had any issues with the tape not holding? Do you think stitching Tyvek would weaken it?