Hildebrand

Setting snaps

I am looking for a different snap setter. I have the Tandy hammer type but I would like to find a pliers type. I mostly set #20 and 24 snaps.   Any suggestions welcome. 

Thanks. 

I use the Hoover Press-n-Snap and it is a pliers type setter. Not sure what your budget is but last time I checked it's around $130. You can also set grommets and eyelets with it as well. You can find a lot of reviews of this setter on this site. Cheers.

Thank you both for the replies.  I used the Hoover one on some table covers, it belonged to the upholstery business.  I couldn't find it with google since I didn't know the name, I think thats the one I will shoot for.

Todd

I have the hoover as well .. whew does it save me money on snaps! I think the table top setters might be a little easier to use but I dont have a ton of room so being able to use it and stick it in a drawer when I am done is a big plus!

I use the Tandy set. But I found a cone wedge shaped tool from Osbourne. I use it to crown the snaps and then use the setting tools afterwards. It works really good for me. I'm not sure what the tool was really designed for. I have one that fits the line 20 and one that fits the 24s.

I just bought my first twisty press made in Italy and that is the best sort of press money can get. The top lever sort of press is actually intended to be used on a foot operated stand.

This is what I have - the green one on the right - and highly recommend:

p4.jpg

I think it may be a product for certain applications that can help a bit more.  I didnt download their pdf on the twist type but I may be interested down the road. 

For my applications 24 snap from scovil is the go to.  I need the portability on boats so been using the press n snap for a little while. In re placements ( as they slide off boat in the water ) oh did I say that hurts my 1 feeling. 

Anyway it seems last i needed another the additional parts in the kit is more and cheaper from Rochford. http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Tools/Snap_Fastener_Tools/Pres-N-Snap_(Aluminum)_for_Installing_Fasteners/index.html

Thanks for the tip on the bench press. I am going to look into the twist type for other rivet types if thats an option with their dies or anvils n what have ya’s. I suspect we all would agree they all could be bested with our own “free” air press!

good day there

Floyd

The Press-N-Snap regularly goes on sale for $99 from Sailrite.  That's where I bought mine a bunch of years ago.  I only install Line 24 snaps so I've never looked into whether they make Line 20 anvils, but I assume they do.

As you mentioned portability, let me tell ya that mine is screwed onto a 14" of 2x4 which I carry around and attach to tabletops with 2x clamps.

8 minutes ago, Joon1911 said:

The Press-N-Snap regularly goes on sale for $99 from Sailrite.  That's where I bought mine a bunch of years ago.  I only install Line 24 snaps so I've never looked into whether they make Line 20 anvils, but I assume they do.

They do make line 20 anvils as well as “pull the dot” snap setters.  If I could have only one snap setter the Pess-N-Snap would be it.  I’ve used mine for years with no complaints.