Sign in to follow this  
Whippy

Making Braiding soap problem

Hi everyone, I have just had a go at making my own plaiting soap by following the David Morgan recipe,

ivory soap, beef tallow and water. By following the measurements indicated, I times that by 4 to make enough to last me a while. 

Its turned out like chewing gum, it’s stretches over the spoon when I scoop it up. I’m not sure what’s gone wrong, and I was wondering 

if anyone else has encountered this problem, any suggestions on why this has happened and can I salvage the batch I’ve made, or throw it 

away and try again? 

Thanks very much in advance

Thanks for your reply, I think your right, it’s the only ingredient that differs from the David Morgan recipe, I found other recipes that used tallow, and didn’t think it would make a difference, but I’ll make another batch using pure lard. 

Thanks very much 

I use lard as it is readily available here in the states.  1bar Ivory pure, 1lb lard, and 1 1/2 cup of water.  Boil water and soap together, ad lard, mix and cool.  As it cools give it a mix a few times.  If it is too thick you can add water.  I have a bucket of plaiting soap that is over 2 years old and has yet to go rancid.

Old plaiters would use sheep's fat from around the kidneys area (cleanest), render it down and strain it to remove impurities.  Then add that to the soap and water.  Also added a bit of kerosene to keep varmints from chewing the leather.  I've used a few different scented oils like eucalyptus or Tea Tree oil.

I have also added bees wax. From candle makers supplies get white BW beads. Equal parts to the other ingredients. I have settled on much more water, about 2 1/2 cups.