Okay, I have been wanting to try my hand at a padfolio. I took apart a really old plastic covered padfolio that was falling apart to see what weight of cardboard they used as a stiffener. Darn, that is some hefty carboard! It's about 2 mm. thick!

I searched through the whole of Michael's (local hobby store chain) looking for something similar, and didn't find anything even close. The only alternative seems to be saving up Cheerio boxes, and gluing pieces together to get the necessary thickness.

Anyone know a source of box board out there? I'd like to use it for making templates, too.

Heh, the irony! When i was in my teens, I spent a summer making binders for Hilroy. Could have had alll the boxboard I ever wanted.... :rolleyes: And just the right size, too!

Edited by Sheilajeanne
typos

Search for Bontex board (a.k.a. Texon outside the US).  It is commonly available from sizes 0.6 mm - 2.0 mm thick.   

It is easy to cut, retains its shape and since it is commonly used in footwear, it is treated to resist odors.

Webicons, how thick is this stuff?

I have managed to find a source for box board, but it's in England. I'd be paying about .75 cents per unit for the size of board I need, which is doable. Minimum order is 50 pcs., which is also not bad, since it takes 2 pieces to make one pad, and as I said, I also want to use it to make templates.

Or maybe I'll just have to start eating more Cheerios... :wacko:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baltic-Birch-Plywood-1-8-thick-24-x-30/251801764646?hash=item3aa08e0326:g:~kYAAOSwEetV8WKL

I know this is not box board. But it is near the thickness, certainly durable, and can be bought many places. Maybe sourced in a woodworking supply store near you. It can be cut with a jigsaw, circular saw, coping saw.

Also you could check you local big box home improvement store to see if they carry hardboard. Most here in the states will cut it down to easily transportable, but usable smaller sizes for you. For a minimal fee.  

I use either of the above it all the time to make tracing patterns for repeat items. They can also be easily glued to leather with most any acceptable leather glue. 

Good luck with your project.     

You could go to your local picture framing shop and ask for mat board too.