MrMeeker

Backstitching with a Consew 206RB-5

Hi,

I'm new at sewing with a machine and I'd appreciate your input on this one!  I know that I need to back stitch 2 or 3 times to lock things in at the beginning of a line of stitching.  Is it critical that I use the reverse lever or is it ok to roll the hand wheel backwards on the 206?  I think I'd have more control if I use the wheel and keep things neater but if that is not cool with Consew, I'll use the lever only.

Thanks for  your help!

Tom

DON'T wheel backwards - not the same as "reverse".

Use the lever, or if the size of your project allows it and you're more comfortable, TURN THE PIECE AROUND and then stitch "forward" to "backstitch".

The hook or shuttle can only pick up the loop in the top thread going in one direction, so yes, wheel must always turn only one direction.  As above, use reverse or turn around to back stitch.

Tom

Good thing I haven't bought a sewing machine yet. I had no idea turning the wheel backwards could damage it.

19 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Good thing I haven't bought a sewing machine yet. I had no idea turning the wheel backwards could damage it.

Ya, you can ball up quite a mess under the feed plate in the bobbin area.  And if you force it when it is jammed up, more damage than just having to clean up the mess.  Safety clutch on some machines might save you, but just don't ever do it.  You can turn backwards just a little if you were trying to place the needle in the right spot so you can reposition the work.  But that is all.

Tom

There are times when I just can't get a backtack to sit neatly, whether I use the reverse lever or turn the piece round. Other times the thread is so tight in the holes that putting the needle through a second time just cuts the thread.

Some alternative ways of locking off a row of stitching:

- Lifting the presser foot, pulling the piece forwards and restitching the last few stitches (ugly but quite strong, best where the end won't be visible)

- Tying off the threads on the back side of the piece with a reef or surgeon knot (neat front side, ugly back side)

- Melting synthetic threads with a lighter (not very strong on its own but great after tying off)

- Trapping the ends of the threads under a rivet or Chicago screw

- Threading the threads onto a pair of needles and back tacking by hand

- Threading the threads onto a pair of needles and saddle stitching the last couple inches

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help.  I knew this was a binary answer, I'm glad I didn't "just try it'!

Tom

You can also use the hand wheel going forward but holding the reverse lever down will give you 100% control with your backstitch. I own and use a consew 206RB-5 and was brand new to sewing and leatherwork 1 year ago. trial and error my friend. have fun with it. go slow and practice your gas peddle foot. you can always ask me anything regarding the machine. I am not an expert in any stretch of the imagination. hell, I am still a rookie in my eyes but I have been through a lot with this machine.