rivetandchain

Which leather burnishing machine to buy?

Looks like the vibrator from Hell!

well..somehow it is. It gives me enormous pleasure, while I'm into leather.. B)

5 hours ago, BDAZ said:

I already owned the burnisher which I was using in my drill press but I would have purchased this one:

http://proedgeburnishers.com/motor-burnishers.html

Same guy makes it and has the adapter for the buffer built in.

Another benefit to having this buffer is using the buffing wheel for polishing edges after sharpening.

Bob

Thanks BDAZ!  I'll contact proedgeburnishers.  I have the same polisher from harbor freight.  Thanks for your help!

On 3/28/2018 at 3:21 PM, KittenThrasher said:

I just bought one of Nigel Armitage's burnishers from justwood.com, it's a good quality burnishing drum made of Ash with a sanding drum on the other end like the Tandy one, however this one is a LOT cheaper and rather better quality.

Your can also buy the burnisher and/or the sanding drum separately if you have an old bench grinder laying around (which is what I did) that way I got a really nice burnisher for about £100 I visited the people at Just Wood and they were great, very helpful and friendly. A basic 150W cheap bench grinder set up with the burnishing drum is plenty powerful enough for most uses. Mine started to get a bit warm after an hour or so but wasn't that bad.

I've seen one of the Tandy ones and TBH it really isn't as good. even with variable speed.

20180328_231621.jpg

KittenThrasher - how did you attach the burnisher to your old bench grinder?

Hello everyone,

New to the site, and this is my first post.  I want to make one of the burnishing machines.  So if I go to Home Depot and buy a grinder, are the two components (the sander, and the the burnishing wheel) easy to install?  And what would you recommend as far as purchasing these components.  

Hello Everyone,

You can find the clamp at Grainger's.  They are called motion control couplers and they are manufacture by Ruland Manufacturing.   

RULAND MANUFACTURING
  • Item # 2AMF7
  • Mfr. Model # CLX-8-6-F