rmr

sewing machine to sew 18 oz canvas

I would like to start making canvas duffle bags, sportsman's bags, gun cases... ( like the filson bags) using 18oz canvas- possible waxed canvas- with leather trim pieces. I currently have a Cobra 4 cylinder bed machine and a Cambell Bosworth for my leather work

Somewhere I read for heavy canvas that a cylinder bed machine( cobra) will cause bunching of the canvas- is that true?? That article recommended a flat bed machine. If that is correct info- what would be a good machine to be looking at. I have never worked with canvas before. I would probably just use the Cobra machine to sew the leather trim pieces onto the canvas- so I just need something to sew the canvas.

Thank you in advance

RMR  

I started with canvas, I think its about 12oz, to learn how to sew with my new Protek TY8B cylinder arm (227R copy). Without changing a thing, I went from the canvas to 5mm of vegtan + 2mm of chrome tan with no problem.

I made a removable flat table in case I feel the need for it, but the cylinder arm is doing me well so far.

sewing machine with flat bed.jpg

Thank you- I do have a flat table attachment for my Cobra- I guess I need to take some scarp canvas and try it out- it would be awesome if I don't need another machine

RMR

If you have and or could use the blanket foot attachments. This would be a real benefit. I think you may be focusing on threads for the projects this can get crazy. So my thought would be not to get to thin, and need to have big reset sessions. 

Good day

Floyd

great- I do have that attachemnt