carver

Round knife

Looking for a new round knife something around 4 inches any recommendations ? I have I stolman not impressed a gomph and and an Osborne that are my main knives but looking for something that holds an edge longer .  have an old rose but the blade is 5.5 inches just too big . do use it for skiving . All take a great edge but the stolman  . just don’t hold them as long as I would like . Bought a leather wrangler swivel knife and it holds and edge for ever and got me to thinking there had to be better round knives . Any recommendations? 

to get a knife that holds a good edge for awhile, you are going to pay some money.  I purchased a "semi round knife from Spyderco. its no longer offered, but its got good steel and really holds an edge.It is not as round ,not as wide ,  as a round knife and works really well.   Think maybe  50 % round , of a round knife.

I have considered talking to a custom knife maker to have him make me a round knife, but I am not convinced that I would like a knife that round/large. I tried making a skiving knife out of a wood plane blade. I not too sure I like it., but I keep playing with it. 

@ jack142 do you mean a single head knife

http://abbeyengland.com/Store/CategoryID/442/Level/a/ProductID/76762

I use these a lot more than the full head or half moon knife.

I have used a Don Carlos Solingen Head knife since 1985, but although it holds an edge brilliantly, it's a bit large so I tend to use the Geo Barnsley single head knife.

Harry

I don't know what you mean by a single head knife. I'll go home tonight and take a pic, and post it on Monday. It has a round blade, but not as large as a round knife. or as round as a round knife.  Pics to follow.

Take a look at Nash Anonymous.  I have two custom awls and both are excellent performers and the price is right.  Only heard good things about his head knives.

Good communication and about three week turn around. 

412BFB79-846E-45BF-AD01-9228FF523A51.jpeg

5 hours ago, Jack142 said:

I don't know what you mean by a single head knife. I'll go home tonight and take a pic, and post it on Monday. It has a round blade, but not as large as a round knife. or as round as a round knife.  Pics to follow.

Abbey Saddlery calls them a single head knife, the sharp edge follows the curve, it's not a draw knife.

The guy I learned from just called them a head knife

Harry

Half head knife  .jpg

Edited by hwinbermuda

I couldn't be happier with my French model Knipknife. It takes a few months, but well worth the wait. I do strop quite a bit so I don't have to sharpen it.

KIMG0060-1170x2080.JPG

I strop constantly seems like on every cut . I have 8 different head and round knives most take a great edge just won’t hold it like this Leather wrangler swivel knife . I have probably used it for 40 plus hours of actual cutting and it is still sharp ... ( this is my full time job ) . looking for a round knife like that . 

I strop my Knipschield a few times thru a project. Usually before or after a project. 2 or 3 minutes worth.

I would also recommend Knipschield knives i have the Texas Rosebud model blade measures 4 1/2 point to point.

Had it over a year only stropped it in that time never had to sharpen it i strop before i start work for the day and when i finished at the end of the day.

I work with Bridle/Harness leather in the main could not be more happy with it.

Hope this helps  jcuk  

On 3/30/2018 at 8:20 PM, Webicons said:

Take a look at Nash Anonymous.  I have two custom awls and both are excellent performers and the price is right.  Only heard good things about his head knives.

Good communication and about three week turn around. 

412BFB79-846E-45BF-AD01-9228FF523A51.jpeg

Damascus round knifes start at around 890 usd 

https://view.publitas.com/anonymous-made/info/

sure is pretty 

On 3/30/2018 at 1:18 PM, carver said:

Looking for a new round knife something around 4 inches any recommendations ? I have I stolman not impressed a gomph and and an Osborne that are my main knives but looking for something that holds an edge longer .  have an old rose but the blade is 5.5 inches just too big . do use it for skiving . All take a great edge but the stolman  . just don’t hold them as long as I would like . Bought a leather wrangler swivel knife and it holds and edge for ever and got me to thinking there had to be better round knives . Any recommendations? 

Did you ever end up finding the perfect round knife? 

Edited by Treesner