epiphanist1248

Grid rulers - are they useful?

Just wondering if anybody's ever used a grid ruler - Omnigrid, etc. - for working with leather, and how useful they are. If you like using them, what sizes do you use?

Same as above regarding grid on mat.  However, something I use a lot is a centering ruler.  It has a zero in the center and both metric and Imperial measurements going away from zero.  Quite handy for quickly fiding the center of most anything.

5 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Same as above regarding grid on mat.  However, something I use a lot is a centering ruler.  It has a zero in the center and both metric and Imperial measurements going away from zero.  Quite handy for quickly fiding the center of most anything.

I like that idea! Must look for one of those.

I use one all the time.   One of the most useful tools you can have.

12 hours ago, Tugadude said:

However, something I use a lot is a centering ruler.  It has a zero in the center and both metric and Imperial measurements going away from zero.  Quite handy for quickly fiding the center of most anything.

I actually have two of these. They're great. 

14 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

The grid is built into my self-healing cutting mat (33" x 58"), and I built my workbench to match. Would not be without it.

I have a grid mat, too, but that's no good when the leather's on top and you can't see the lines. :P 

2 minutes ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

I use one all the time.   One of the most useful tools you can have.

What size do you use?

I use a cutting pad with a grid pattern and also several different Omnigrid rulers, and recommend both.

I have 4.grid /center rulers. 6 inch, 2) 1 foot one is 1x1 the other is 1x2 and the last is 18x2. I use them more than anything else. I got them @ an art supply store.

You can get these for less than $3.00 if you work at it.  Notice it also has spacer holes and level lines on it too.

image.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

You can get these for less than $3.00 if you work at it.  Notice it also has spacer holes and level lines on it too.

image.jpeg

Yeah bud, I said ^^ I have one. I actually just used it like 20 minutes ago. :P

6 hours ago, epiphanist1248 said:

I have a grid mat, too, but that's no good when the leather's on top and you can't see the lines.

A steel rule (4, 5 & 6 foot), extending beyond the edges of the leather, will allow one to lay a cut along the grid line beneath it.

I use quilting rulers a lot. They help hold softer leathers straight while cutting compared to a 1 or 2" wide rule.  6" x 24" and 3" x 18" I use the most. I also have a few 8 1/2" x 24" and 4" x 36" ones that come in handy.

Use a rotary cutter, for best results. I like the 60mm ones.  It can cut thought thicker leather and because of the greater circumference of the blade, they stay sharp longer. 

Edited by Sonydaze
to correct typo

I use one. Also have the self healing mats with grids. By my from uline, not sure who makes them but they are very good quality, better than Olfa. Use a 36 x 4 omnigrid. Super useful for marking my cuts for large sections requiring 90% cuts as you can lay a square across the end and know you are definitely square.

The clear plastic gridrule I use, os about 12”x8”, I think, it’s not in front of me just now.    It’s commonly used by quilters and in the domestic sewing world, and is great for accurate cutting/marking.

I’ve tried rotary cutters, but just don’t seem to get the hang of them.

all of the above plus speed clamps with rubber and leather bits glued on to stop damage to my rulers, quilters thingy's, and other bits..