So I would like to start out by stating I know that this a leatherworking forum and not woodworking, as I am not a woodworker by any means. But I am curious.

I have access to a lathe and would like to try my hand at making my own awl haft. But I am not sure how to make it hold a blade, prefferabbly to be able to replace the blade.

Would anyone have any experience they would be willing to share with a newbie?

Turn the Awl handle in the normal way - probs in a collet chuck, then put a fine drill bit in through the tailstock end get it well into the handle end, as deep as you want the blade to go.

then pare off the handle.

the traditional way to set the  awl pointy bit is to hold it in a vice between two softer bits of metal, (I used to use penny coins until they started making them out of Friggin iron!) then tap the handle on forcing the awl into the 'slightly too small' hole that you drilled on the lathe. the size of the hole will depend on the awl, the wood and whatever drill bits you have lying around at the time.

'Hope that's pretty clear,

The most versatile and elegant way to secure the blade I've seen is to cut the collet end off a pin vise and epoxy it into a very slightly oversize hole in your haft.

You just want collets with a removable cap so you can switch out blade sizes.

Check out Starrett and Brown & Sharpe to see what the top end product looks like and go from there. They have knurled caps. You can get ones with hexagonal caps like Barry King Tools uses on Amazon. They look a lot cooler.