Jerdav73

singer 29k51

Looking for some advice!   I'm working on refurbishing a Singer 29k51 patcher.  I cannot seem to get the foot presser down far enough to press on the material.  When I let it down it still remains about 1/4 inch above the material I'm working with.  Any suggestions.  I have tried tapping it down, with a hammer, and that does seem to depress it on top of the material, but then the foot doesn't "walk" along the material.  Do you think it could be so dirty?

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS

Jerdav73

Could be dirt or maybe something wrong assembled. Please post good clear and detailed pictures of your machine from front and back (head only) and when you have the chance post a video too.

It is a wild guess but is it possible that the tip of the bell crank lever does not sit in the ring grove of the feed motion ring slide bar?

I guess you have this parts list already, right?

SINGER 29K51,29k56.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

Might be the foot height adjustment in the back.  If not assembled correctly, it can stay up.

glenn

13 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Might be the foot height adjustment in the back.  If not assembled correctly, it can stay up.

glenn

Glenn, 

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not too certain where the foot adjustment is located in the back.  I've adjusted the tension spring in the back from very loose to very tight, but that doesn't really bring the foot down.  When I let  the foot down it still remains too high, about 1/8 inch.  I can slip a piece of leather under it without even raising the foot.  By tapping with a hammer on the top of the rod in the back that holds the long spring assemby, I can bring it down on top of the material, but this should happen freely, not with me tapping.  I'm thinking that the foot isn't the problem, but that something is restricting the entire assembly from descending.  I'm going to check tonight to see if there is some type of foot height adjustment in the back as you suggest.  Again, thanks, and I'll let you know if I'm Successful.

Jerry

Jerry;

Does your machine have a long torsion spring along the back, with a thumbscrew adjustable sliding block on the head side of it? If so, check that sliding block to see if somebody has added material to the top of it. The top of the block makes contact with a lever, which is what determines the amount of lift of the foot as you sew. The lift is increased by moving it towards the flywheel and decreased by moving it towards the head side. There needs to be a little clearance between the top of the block and the lever that lifts the foot.

Jerry,

Send us a few pics of the back of the machine.  We meaning Wiz, Constabulary or myself) can better tell you what to do once we see the  back of the machine.

glenn 

I've attached some photos of the top of my singer 29k51.  I've worked and worked at trying to find what is restricting the foot from pressing firmly on the plate - one of the pictures indicates how far above the sewing plate the foot lies.  I'm now suspecting trouble withn the bell crank assembly but I'm not about to venture into territory where I shouldn't be.  Thanks again in advance for any advice.

Jerry

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

Remove the tension thumb nut then losen the 2 nuts I have marked in your picture and reposition them as shown in the 2nd picture. Meaning - try to find the point where the foot meets the needle plate. Tighten both nus properly when done. Your upper nut is thinner than the one in my picture so the threaded end that sticks at the top should be approx 6-7mm. Thats at least how mine is positioned and it works well.

Furthermore the machine seems to need a thorough cleaning ;) this for sure will help to improve the performance.

Hope this helps - if not report back.

EDIT:

BTW - your top nut is not the original one - the original nut is a bit higher (see my picture)

IMG_0613.JPG.6fdb19a7d3f213285504cf850d4fec8c.JPG.4d12b4fca4812e27407df69d7e5b1e93.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG.f9bd783c04d336da8f58f7847390ddab.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Another hint - please show some pictures of your thread length adjuster - maybe the "gib" is missing... The position of the gib and the squared piece is important too.

Just another guess.  ;)

I'm certain that the gib is in place -  it may be a bit worn but it alters the length of the stitch so I assume it's OK.  Also, how about a tip on cleaning the machine.  Is kerosene and elbow grease my best option?

The notch in the gib has to point up and the notch of the squared pice has to point down to give enough space for the foot bar movement.

I just posted a 29K71 manual in another thread, hope I can link it here

http://leatherworker.net/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=142508

your machine is pretty much the same. But yours has a different (drop out) gear box, thread regulator and a few other minor differences but the manual should be very helpful for your 29K51 too. The parts diagrams are helpful if you want to disassemble the head for cleaning.

Edited by Constabulary

I believe the wing nut on the back that regulates the height of the foot walk is on high.  Move it to the lowest walk position which is at the other end of the 5 notch mark and see if it drops the foot anymore.

glenn