jsangl

Beginning Saddle Construction

Hi all, my name is Jason and I'm a bit addicted to leather working (sounds like our version of an AA introduction..ha).  I'm a fairly newb to the field, having picked up the hobby/addiction in the past couple of years. I've always enjoyed high quality leather goods and examples of true craftsmanship, no matter the field. However, from a retail perspective, these goods aren't 'cheap', and rightfully so. I've always had a need to 'create' and have fueled that need by drawing, painting, etc. throughout the years, but something about leatherwork has always appealed to me, as not only is it aesthetically pleasing, but it's highly functional as well. So, like many others, Tandy and copious amounts of YouTube videos became my introduction to leatherwork.  My mindset with any of my products has always been to enhance my level of craftsmanship and avoid taking shortcuts, especially after hearing a phrase, "Compromise elsewhere, quality doesn't take shortcuts."  I have attempted to slowly increase my skills with each project, with each project adding a new challenge. So far, I've made numerous wallets, belts, card holders, Dopp kits, spur straps, saddle bags, messenger bags and other assorted goods, trying to improve with each one. I've also taken in quite a few saddles to clean up, restore and do minor fixes on, just to become even more familiar with the in's and outs of their construction.

All that being said, I knew from early on that my ultimate goal would be progressing to the point of being able to produce a high quality, handmade saddle.  While my personal saddles are fine to ride in, there's just something about making your OWN product and it actually being usable!! I've scoured these forums off and on for the past couple of years (but just now having become a member), trying to pick up as much knowledge as possible.  I have also acquired the Al Stohlman saddle making encyclopedia and have been reading that quite a bit. I have come to the point where that little 'itch' I have to make a saddle won't go away and just needs to be scratched.  While I've always learned by just 'doing' and kinda figuring it out on my own, I'm also smart enough to know what I don't know. And, I know that a QUALITY saddle isn't a project to be taken lightly, and a little instruction/advice/'Do it like this' goes a long way.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to attend a saddle building workshop or school at the moment as I have a full time job.  However, seeing as how I'm an RN in the ER, I have long days, but it consequently does allow me to be able to have several free days.  So, with all the extra information I've thrown out there, the point of this entire post is this:

I'm from a little town called St Paul, Indiana, which is about halfway between Indianapolis and Cincinnati, but isn't exactly a mecca for saddle making.  Is anyone on this forum familiar with a true craftsman in the general area that may be open to allowing me to come and spend a day or two or three, so that I could pick their brain/bounce ideas off and try to educate myself more before just stumbling through the process alone?  I would be perfectly willing to try and compensate said maker for their time and expertise.  Any other advise/constructive criticism is always welcome as well. Thanks in advance all!

I don't have that answer for you, but I did want to comment. I really like your approach to all of this. 

DG Saddlery has a growing list of videos on YouTube concerning the saddle making process. Just search Don Gonzales. He is located in Bryan, Texas. But, he does mention in his videos that he is willing to answer questions in emails. If you haven't found him already he seems like a great resource and he has a great appeal on camera. I don't do saddles but I love his videos.

Good luck.

Ron Ross, Ross Saddlery, lives in Indiana, and I believe has taken students in the past.  He also offers some instructional information for sale, mostly carving info I think.  Ron has been around for awhile and has a lot of knowledge, not just of saddles, but leatherworking in general and machinery, etc.  There may be others as well.

Everyone has differing opinions on what makes for a "good saddle" or a "quality saddle".  If you're a barrel racer, you won't want to learn how to build saddles from a guy that builds only rope saddles, unless he understands very well what goes into making a good barrel saddle.  While there are some common ingredients between styles to make a superior product, make sure you know what qualities make a saddle a "good saddle" for the style you want to build,  and/or make sure the person you learn from thoroughly understands the differences also.  The methods of construction and patterns used can make the difference between you loving your saddle or hating it. 

I highly advise that you try to spend a few days in Sheridan, Wyoming during the Rocky Mountain Leather Trade Show, May 15-20, 2018.  There are several classes being taught on the construction of saddles.  The information will be invaluable to you at this stage.  Keith