aroh99

Fortuna leather splitting machine

I recently started making leather goods. I came across this Fortuna leather splitting machine and bought it sight unseen. Dont know the model # yet but do know it is a fortuna. I paid $2000 for it and wanted to know if i over paid or if it was a fair price. Im hoping someone will know what this machine is worth and can share some info. thanks in advance

20180405_231254.jpg

20180405_231311.jpg

That's a band knife splitter and if it works, you stole it.:)

Hello bikermutt07   I am aware it was a band splitter as I previously used a newer camoga at my old job.  I just started working on my own and had no idea what these cost. Do you have an idea of what something like this would sell for? the guy I bought it from says it is in working condition with a new blade. my only concern the guy selling machine said this is a 3 phase machine and I only have a 220 plug not a 3 phase. He did mention that this machine can be changed from 3 phase to a 220v. do you know if this is true?  thank you in advance.

Yes, you can change it from 3 phase to single phase 110 or 220V with a VFD, but you'd need one for each motor if they're different powers (and I think they probably are) and even "cheap" Chinese VFDs may cost more than used single phase motors you can run off a normal wall outlet. Depending on the type of VFD, you'll also lose a nontrivial amount of power.

So I'd just switch them out with appropriately powered single phase motors. You'll also need new pulleys if those are the original German motors because they'll have metric shafts, but cheap.

Mind posting pics of the badges on the drive and blower motors?

Only know what I have heard. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $16,000 new....

@nstarleather would know better. Maybe he will chime in.

hello nuttish i gave the guy a deposit a few days ago and will be picking it up this upcoming saturday. As soon as i have this bad boy at my place i will take pics of badges on the drive and blower motors. maybe you can give me more advise on the change from 3 phase to 220 when i send you the pics.  thanks for your input.

Hello bikermutt07 thanks for the input

nstarleather thanks for the input and info.

they guy selling it is also selling a strap cutter that looks old heavy duty but dont know any info on this strap cutter.  the fact it is a 3 phase is my concern maybe someone knows more info on it.  it looks heavy duty but the guy wants $2000 for this bad boy as well. i wouldnt even know where to buy parts if ever needed. i love old school machines just not sure if it can be repaired. for the price range i can get a new cobra ak20. if anyone knows about this machine i would really appreciate some info. thanks in advance.

20180406_155928.jpg

it is listed as an associated pacific strap cutter. it has a badge that says french co. 02027. also has a badge that says lc8807003. so it wont let me upload pics ill also create a new forum maybe i can add pics on there.

Might be cheaper to get a second hand 3 phase generator for the short times you will be using it rather than changing the electrics

Domestic power may not have enough power (amps) to make it work well

chrisash thanks for the advice. do you have an idea what generators will work? can you add a link of one that may work so i can read up? thanks

Discussions about power requirements are speculation without seeing the rating plate on the machine or on the motor. 

Thank you Itch for the information. Sadly the machine has been sitting in storage until I can power it.  This will make it easier and I finally put it to use.