Rolandranch

How did you get into leather work?

I was just a little curious about how you all began as leather workers. 

I started 2 years ago when I made a cheesy knife and wanted to make a leather sheath for it (I was 14). My dad took me to Tandy to get some leather and tools. I thought I was just getting enough material to make a sheath... but dad said I should make a bunch of leather products and try to sell them. We walked out with $300 worth of materials. :blink: I made the sheath and was hooked with leather ever since. I started doing custom leather projects for friends and made enough money to buy a cb4500 sewing machine so I could up the production... and here I am enjoying leather work and learning something new from every project I do.

Here is that knife sheath. :rolleyes2:

3652028725963838493.jpg.e3773dd717aa63605f833d202966be1d.jpg

What's your story and first leather project?

-Ryan

I certainly don't have any photos of my first attempts since they were sixty four years ago.

I was in the Navy and stationed in Key West, Florida. Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron HS-1.

Made wallets and purses for members of our squadron and others on the base. I got $5.00 each for the wallets. My brothers still have theirs I made for them.

Tandy store in Miami told me one time, "You pay our rent every month, don't stop!"

That was a long time ago and I am still working with Leather.

Ferg

I don't really remember what my first project was. When I was in Gr. 7 and 8, I started taking archery lessons at my school. I made myself an arm guard and some finger tabs. I also found a rounder off a saddle at the local dude ranch, and that was my first effort at stamping leather. I stamped a four leaf clover onto it, using a jack knife, and home made tools, and used it for years as a coaster on my bedside table. It disappeared one day, and I suspect it fell into the wastebasket and got accidentally tossed out.

I also took apart an old gun holster from a cap gun I had when I was a kid, and made a bracer and a knife sheath out of it. (I still have the six-shooter cap gun that came with the holster, though the catch on the loading mechanism got busted, and at some point, I sawed the barrel off so I could pretend it was a modern hand gun, and play 'secret agent' with it. Oh, and I made the holster into a shoulder rig...  :rolleyes:

My parents tried to encourage my interest, but didn't really know how. When they bought me a piece of tie-dyed leather at Tandy's I had no books or tools to go with it, and had no idea what to do with it. Eventually, my interest in leather faded, but never completely died.

Then, 2 1/2 years ago, I bought a beginner's kit at Tandy's. The idea was to learn to make leashes and collars to sell as part of my dog-boarding business. I took 8 weeks of free lessons and was hooked!

I made a few things, wallet, bible cover, etc over 30 years ago then kids came along, got busy with family and other things. After kids were all grown and I retired about a year ago I dug out the old tools, added a lot of new ones, bought some leather and some craft aids started making coasters, wallets , checkbook covers, book covers, etc.  Now I spend about 6 or 7 hours a day in what my family calls the leather lair or devils den (it’s really the basement) tooling, cutting, cutting etc on leather,  I love it!  Thanks for asking!  Sincerly,  Rodney

A little over a year ago I had to retire on a medical disability. Needed something to keep my hands busy and keep me from watching tv all day. 

Had made some knives and needed sheaths for them. Did that and caught the bug . Now I’m hooked.

@Ferg I know what you mean. Tandy likes me too... or at least my money! :) 

@Sheilajeanne That's great! I think you're the one who carved the impressive Celtic horse design a while ago, right? Thank you for sharing your story!

@Rhale 6-7 hours a day?! Wow, I wish I could do that. Unfortunately, I have 6 years of school ahead of me. :wacko: Otherwise, I'd be with you in your shop cranking out leather!

@JKHelms I'm glad to hear you love what you do. Thanks for sharing your story!

-Ryan

Ok, I'll play. We will start at the beginning. In 2010 I shattered both of my heels at work. I was spending a lot of time on the internet and got sucked into "the whole end of the world as we know it" scenario. I was buying guns beans and bullets. And I was looking towards blacksmithing as a hobby slash end of the world career. Silly, I know. Anywho, I started looking into leather work instead. Since blacksmithing was going to require a lot of heavy lifting. My wife let me carry on for a while and then finally pointed out I was overcompensating due to my injuries. So, I dropped the issue.

Fast forward to 2014. In August of that year we had our second son Eddie. He was born sick and only lived 2 weeks in NICU. After about two months I had to get my hands moving again. So, I wandered into a new Tandy store down the street. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Here is the first thing I made watching Grierwolfe's YouTube channel.

0212172107.jpg

This was 4-5 oz shoulder with fiebings medium brown (I think) and super sheen.

It was 2 years ago for me,  I had $2,000 to spend ,so I though I'll try leatherworking. between you and me it's a lot more than $2,000 now. 

I started two years ago, mainly to make my own holsters. Now it's evolved into belts, collars, leashes, wallets, glasses cases and one purse. Oh, and one shotgun shell carrier. I retired at the first of this year and will need things to keep me amused, leatherwork is perfect.

Jeff

The first time I ever touched leather tools was 7th grade shop class, back in the late 1970s. I still have the luggage tag I made from that shop class. No, I have no pictures of it. :rolleyes:
Joined the SCA while in high school (a local college chapter) and saw leather work, but didn't do any of my own. There was no leather shop closer than 6 hours, and I had no money anyway.
Time passes-- through the 80s and 90s, I started doing some leather stuff, for various costume party and such, picking up a few (very few) basic leather tools. A Tandy shop was only 5 minutes away, the first time I'd ever actually seen a leather store, to handle hides and tools on my own. Not much time or money to invest, and only some interest-- I made a knife sheath, a belt and some bracers. I didn't know anybody else who did leather work, and there was no Internet yet. That's really what I would call the first time.

Final year of my MA program I decided to make a book bag, decorated with medieval motifs (and with an Anglo Saxon inscription). I realized that I kind of liked doing this, and I wasn't too bad (for not really knowing what I was doing.)
More years pass -- I got married, more grad school in Eastern Canada. I kept my tools and a few pieces of leather, but didn't do a whole lot with it-- time constraints, expense, and so on. 

Moved here to Western Washington, and started making stuff for friends. Much of what I do isn't really standard stuff (belts,  holsters, sheaths, etc.)  I realized more tools were needed, and I started collecting hides (much like quilters collect fabric). Having a Tandy store across town was very convenient. Having Internet access is even better!
So it's been a gradual climb, and I've gotten gradually better. I won Grand Prize in the Western Washington State Fair a few years back (with this leather box), much to my humble surprise. That's a nice confidence builder, I must say!

G'Day Rolandranch , apart from a few odd jobs here and there over 14 years ago, ,  I used to be a ' rousy ' , ( roustabout )  in a  sheep shearing shed ( Central Wheatbelt, Western Australia..., and  no, not the 'outback' :)  )    I did it for a number of years  until I ended up with a hernia , common amongst shearers & rousy's , and.........very painful , but I had  no interest to return to that  kind of work post recovery. 

So literally out of the blue, I just thought I'd try my hand at 'leathercraft'.   I knew nothing about leather back then. Long story short,after borrowing the only  ' how to ' book on leather from my local library many times  &  many phone calls later, ( yellow pages)  I entered the world of leather.  Obtained some tools, leather, dyes  etc. and off I went. 

After much practice and many (  sometimes expensive )   mistakes later , I thought I'd try  my luck at a local market with a few simple belts, key rings, book marks  etc.  but  barely enough to fill a table. So  my good ol' Mum filled the table with her handicrafts, knitted  and hand sewn  bits & bobs  :) 

Much tater, the ' internet' soon became a very handy tool, ........and so did this web site :):):) 

14 years later, its  now a full time business.   I also do  horse rug repairs, and canvas repairs . An opportunity presented itself , ( and so did the sewing  machine ) so I took that on too. :) 

I am well known in my  small town (with a population of around 1800) , ..... and the next town,   as the  "leather man"  . 

Needless to say, my ' good ol' Mum'  still does handicrafts  and sells them too :)  

HS 

Ryan,

It is good you started this thread. I love to read what others have done and become. This is normally a very humble craft. Reading through some of the old "How-To" books will jerk us back to what folks have become.

You keep up the good work. I can tell you have been raised "right" and know at least some of what you want in life.

Ferg

I played with a few bits of leather at home before I hit 12 years old, but my first "project" was with a teacher when I was 12 years old. That was a sheath for a folding knife, both of which I still have somewhere.

I am not sure how I ended up doing leatherwork with that teacher, because I was not in his class, but I did, and then I was given a few more tools for Xmas or birthdays. That lasted for a few years I guess, then something else came along.

I made a few bits and pieces over the years when I needed them, but those tools were not on my horizon.

I found some of those tools again about a year ago, and there's a few things that I had figured on making, so ... here I am ... a few thousand bucks into a great past-time! I have given my 2 kids, 10 year old twin, a bit of a go, but they do not seem interested at the moment, It might not happen immediately, but it will happen!

Mixture of interest, need, and contempt.  I needed a weight lifting belt that boys at the gym could understand is not community property.  I saw a guy making those belts, and it looked like it would work (though, he wasn't very good - just the only one around). And when I set up buying one, it turned into a zoo --- took a lot longer than he said, and I got tired of the excuses.  When he suggested that he was the only guy around, so it was his way, I told him just keep that money, but I'll make my own.

I ruined a couple of complete hides finding out how to tool at all.  I bought books, tools, threads, punches, dyes & finishes, all manner of things I certainly didn't need to make a simple wide belt like that guy was making.  I ruined some getting used to a swivel knife.  I ruined some that were "mooshed" due to tooling way too wet.  I ruined some not knowing what to expect applying leather dye - turned out not like paint really.  I learned there really IS such a thing as too much neatsfoot on a belt.  But I managed to get two weightlifting belts - one for my buddy - and a "jeans belt' for myself (which was certainly not beautiful).  

That was a good bit ago...

I started,I guess, in the early part of 2016 while recovering from a burst fracture of the spine which damaged nerves and left me paralyzed from the waist down. Between  phis therapy sessions I needed something to do to keep from going nuts. I found  leather tutorials on YouTube and thought it looked cool. 2 months later I got out of the hospital able to walk a little ways and started buying tools and some bellies from SCL and started teaching my self. I can only sit at my bench for about an hour at a time so its slow going but it really keeps me doing something useful. I think:thumbsup:

@bikermutt07 I'm sorry to hear about your son. Thank you for sharing your story and a pic of your first project. That sheath is way too cool to be a first project. You must be a natural. :) 

@Joseph1836 I wish I had 2k for leather spending right now. As soon as I make money it gets spent on more leather/tools. It's called "reinvesting," I think. :head_hurts_kr:

@alpha2 I've seen some of your holsters and they're quite impressive. I hope I can continue leatherwork when I retire too.  (Funny I say "when I retire." I need to get a job first. lol) :rolleyes:

@DJole Wow, you must have a ton of experience with leather! I saw your serpent box and I have to say I can understand why you won grand prize! It was incredible! Thanks for sharing your story.

@nstarleather So you were basically born with the tools in your hand. That's great to see that you've been doing it all your life and still love it. 

@Handstitched Thanks for the heads up. I won't be a sheep shearer. To me, all of Australia is the "outback." ha, as soon as I read "G'day" I looked at your location and was like "yep, I thought so." I enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing!

@Rockoboy It seems as though the popular first project right now is a knife sheath. Thanks for sharing and I'm sure your kids will catch onto leather soon. ;)

@JLSleather That is a good reason to get into leather craft. I liked your story it's a good one. I don't think there's any of us who haven't ruined a good amount of leather while learning. 

@JD62 Sorry to hear about your injury. But I'm glad to hear you are able to do leatherwork and that you enjoy it. Thanks for sharing your story and yes, I think it is a craft that is more than useful. :yes: 

Thank you all for contributing to this thread. I really enjoy every story! :gathering:

-Ryan

13 hours ago, Ferg said:

Ryan,

It is good you started this thread. I love to read what others have done and become. This is normally a very humble craft. Reading through some of the old "How-To" books will jerk us back to what folks have become.

You keep up the good work. I can tell you have been raised "right" and know at least some of what you want in life.

Ferg

Thanks, Ferg!

I agree most leather workers are there to help and I want to do the same. I appreciate your encouraging words. The credit for everything I am goes to God and my amazing parents. 

-Ryan

As a kid I would read through my dad's Back to Basics book over and over- always wanted a handmade pair of moccasins. Reading the book didn't make anything happen but it did light a little fire... In my early 20's I got as far as ordering some leather supply catalogs and then I saw the prices. Being a stay at home mom in a miserable marriage I didn't even bother to ask.... 20ish or so years later (happily married to a man who encourages me to do what I want & working full time managing a turkey hatchery) I needed wanted a new belt, but not with too much bling and one that wouldn't fall apart because I wore it everyday, carrying a holster on it, riding horses, messing with calves, gardening and all the other stuff I do everyday; couldn't find that anywhere else so I made one. And so it began. I love it, I love seeing the improvements I've made. I love figuring out how things go together and I love when I have a finished product that puts a smile on someone's face. 

As a rather new leatherworking addict my story is not nearly as good as the ones I already read, however, I still want to share it in case anyone is interested:

I work in IT for about 10 years now and it's like arriving at work early with a huge pile of ToDo and coming home late, the pile is even higher than in the morning and you produced -  well, nothing. I always had the feeling that I need to create something with my hands that will last longer than our fast paced digital products we consume and throw away every day. Additionally, when you come home from a long day of meetings and annoying stuff all that's left in your head is pudding so about half a year ago that urge to do something with my hands grew stronger. I totally feel Mutt, blacksmithing was also the first thing that came to my mind. It's something I always wanted to do (in fact it was - or is - my "When I retire..." plan). However, with a regular job and my young boy sleeping next to my workshop in my apartment in the evening hours when I have time to do something, blacksmithing was out due to noise, dirt and lack of space. My coin purse fell apart that time and I watched a video of Ian Atkinson doing one. I bought a pack of leather tools from Amazon and some pieces of scrap leather alongside his pattern and here it is. I have bought so much tools and leather since then and I'm doing something every evening, even if it's just finishing some leather I dyed the night before or just some smaller tasks. Still thinking about how to sell some stuff to get some money back to buy more materials but I'm learning every day and it clears my head after some hard working with my head during my regular job.

IMG_2960.JPG

I've always had a want/need to work with my hands, a'building stuff...remodeling, tile/masonry, woodworking, a little welding, etc...thought I'd try my hand at leatherworking. I've been doing it for about four years now...I mostly make field and concealed carry leather for the local-yocals as well as a few accessories (belts, portfolios, valets, etc)...looking to expand into bags and other items in the near future. Very satisfying side-work. Here's my first two pieces...a couple knife sheaths: a brown slip sheath from a Tandy hide and a black one from some scrap veg-tan leather that someone gave me (an old tool belt, if memory serves)...I stamped it to cover up all the scratches. Lot's of practice and toss-outs along the way...finally earned enough to get a CB3200...things got a little easier after that learning curve. I will say that finding LW.net forums proved to be perhaps the biggest help to my knowledge base...lots of folks on here that are very free-giving with their time and knowledge...a rarity in our day and age.

ewl9.jpg

ewl2.jpg

Edited by Double Daddy

I started back in 06'(-ish) I walked into a leather armor shop at a Ren-fair and saw on a shelf, a pair of very nicely made gauntlets. I picked them up and tried them on, and very impressed now. Having a couple hundred bucks I felt confident enough to ask the price. $600 was the response. Not knowing anything about leather, I kinda scoffed and put them right back on the shelf, annoyed that they were asking so much, I turned around and walked out of the shop. I'm the type of person, if a cant buy it I will find a way to make it. So the next day I found a Tandy leather by my house and it happened to be a class day, so I stayed for the carving lesson. I have been doing it ever since, and love it today as I did when I got my first deluxe kit:yeah: 

11 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

Thanks, Ferg!

I agree most leather workers are there to help and I want to do the same. I appreciate your encouraging words. The credit for everything I am goes to God and my amazing parents. 

-Ryan

I agree with you there, I thank God first, and the support of my wife and family second:lol:

I just realized I still have that knife sheathe I made out of the old gun belt. I was probably 11 or 12 at the time, and aside from an old awl, had no tools but regular sewing needles and button thread.

I also made the knife handle. The blade was a really nice Solingen steel blade from a hunting knife. The original handle on the knife was deer horn, and gave me wicked blisters when I tried to use it. So, I pressed two pieces of cedar together, and shaped the handle to fit my hand. I think a carpet tack was used to anchor the tang, and a piece of chamois leather was moistened and glued in place to wrap the hilt.

The knife was my favourite knife for carving/whittling until some idiot left it sitting ontop of a red-hot woodstove on a camping trip. The wood didn't catch fire, but it was badly charred, and I stopped using the knife after that, for fear the handle would just fall apart on me. Believe me, I  had some choice words for whoever left it on the stove, though the guilty party never 'fessed up!  :(

Ookay, let's remember to post the friggin' PICTURE this time! The leather thong I used to hold the knife in the sheathe has rotted over the years due to age.

Maybe one of these days, I'll replace the handle, and maybe the sheathe as well, or at least redo the stitching, which has worn out in a couple of places from friction. This was my first ever effort at saddle stitching, and I think it didn't turn out too badly, given the lack of proper tools!

IMG_2371_crop.jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

This thread is turning into a great read. Thanks, Roland.

@DarkGoku, I bet you think that 600 dollars is a steal now?

The ongoing joke around here is... I can make that wallet, belt, holster, etc, it's just some leather and thread...

$3,000.00 later we have a belt or wallet we are willing to live with.:lol:

Edited by bikermutt07

I was also a child cowboy and secret agent... went to Tandy and got some scraps and a small beginner's kit, and the Stohlam holster book and set about to make a shoulder holster for my starter pistol, then a holster for my 1911 replica and then a holster from my Crosman 38T.

Then I fell down a rabbit hole for a bunch of years and almost all hobbies went on the back burner until...

2012 I was on a low pressure project and my son was also diagnosed with a insect venom allergy as am I. I was carrying Epipens in premade pouches etc. and he would not carry his at all...not cool... and at the same time my eldest daughter wanted to try a hobby that was "natural" and I got her a Tandy starter set.... and at the same time I found my old airguns and got back into that world.... perfect convergence.... so I made a leather Epipen case for my son... a few for me and then into holsters for me and the airgun community on the forums. thus was born Plinker Gunleather and Special Cases. continued as Jobbie (hobby that might pay for itself almost sorta..) for a few years but in the last 2.5 years I went from self employed to a company man and life has gotten more demanding of my time with commitments to family, church, volunteer work, work work and other service commitment so.... so for now a hobby more of dreams and plans than actions. But I have a whack of time off banked and think I will try to get some bench time in this year and see what I can make these days.... without having to work on things basically 20 minutes at a time...tired....

I am also keenly aware that anything I have success at is due to God's gifts and grace.... he prospers me with His assistance, receive all my works, and possess all my affections.... except in those times when I forget and go at life alone...ouch....

Ryan thanks for the thread... and I have no regrets but I wish I was you at your age! Keep on keeping on and watch out for the rabbit holes of life.

Here is the first Epipen case for my son and my first new generation holster (I actually found the old shoulder rig and Crosman holster but haven't taken pictures... maybe this weekend)

1911scabrh fr 15pc.jpg

cool front 15pc.jpg