Rolandranch

How did you get into leather work?

My first completed project was a knife sheath for a small fixed blade gerber.  I think sheaths are first projects for many because they are not as intimidating as a wallet or gun holster and don't generally take as much leather.  My first project was a minimalist wallet/business card holder, 6 layers of 5 oz veg...  Talk about a brick!  

I made my current wallet out of 1-2 oz veg a year or 2 ago and haven't had much opportunity to create since then.  Job, family, family, etc take up all my time.  I also don't have a work bench and it was difficult to work on a small kitchen counter and waking up babies pounding stitching holes gets you in trouble quick!  Lol.  I recently built shelving in the garage and am in the process of organizing everything.  Once that is complete Ill be building a work bench for my hobby.

I love the craft and I really want to get proficient at making wallets, notebook covers, checkbooks, and anything that falls into the Every Day Carry category.  

My story goes back to mother's leather working when I was a child.  My sister still carries a wallet she made from a Tandy kit 40+ years ago.  I remember that lovely smell when we'd walk into the Tandy store.  As an adult, I took up hobby blacksmithing, trying to duplicate the old blacksmith methods, and used buffalo leather to tie/decorate certain pieces together.  Life's changes, we relocated, and I could no longer blacksmith in my area.  Shortly thereafter, my sweetheart passed away, and I had entirely too much time on my hands and nearly two sides of leather 'leftovers' so decided to recover an antique sewing chair left to me by a grandmother.  My intention was to give it to my granddaughter It came out...we'll call it functional...with a little help from the local leather repair store owner's suggestions.  If I only knew what I know now, but it the spirit of the post, I'll post a pic.  I used a speedy awl, purchased at the local Walmart :blush:.  I am proud to say, it's used nearly daily; 2 yrs later. My mother, now living with me, saw my work and commented people would pay good money for that (her vision is distance limited).  So, I went to practicing.  I'm still learning, every day, and have begun to sell my work; slowly but surely.  Coming from a farm life, I like was taught to make things right so they last.  And, as all the others here, I want folks to be pleasantly surprised, when they receive, and use, their items.   I have had many, many suggestions from forum members and I thank you all.  I would like to share this thought with you per MarkCdub's comment.  I'm a licensee of University of Wyoming's (aka UW) logos, you might consider doing the same for your college.  For UW, there was no more than a $35ish/yr fee as a crafter, no royalties for my sales as a retailer, up to $500.00, $70ish/yr if that limitation is exceeded. and I can reproduce approved images on any leather items except university restrictions regarding alcohol and gun/knife items.  Very minimal approval requirements, great business exercises for you, and a large clientele.   Don't forget your local sales/business license requirements (mine are no cost other than the collected taxes ).  It was suggested here, on this forum, that I consider getting some stamps made for quicker production, which I did.  I'll attach a pic of my most recent, and very popular, UW stamped coasters (registered trademark).  All production is done by hand.  I'll also post my first project, post blacksmithing.  Good luck to you.  You seem a very genuine, creative, and ambitious young man; that will take you very far.  Enjoying this thread.

Tammy

Laramie Leatherworks

Chair.jpg

Coasters.jpg

Hi,

I am very new to leather craft and this forum.  I fell in love with this forum the day I singed in.  Such a supportive and friendly environment.  My story is simple and very new. Few months back I was looking for wallet for myself. Could not find something suitable for months and then by chance saw a video on you tube about make a hand made leather wallet and thus it started.  Watched my videos, ordered some tools online, ordered some leather downloaded few templates and started practising.  So far haven't been able to make a wallet for me and I feel that is still a bit away.  I will share whatever so far I have made.  My working life in this craft is less than 30 days. unfortunately, my long working hours allow me little time to work on the projects.  

I hope with the time I will be able to dedicate some more time to it and be at least acceptable quality craftsman.

I am attaching my work so far done. Serial Number indicates the sequence in which they were made. There are multiple pics for each project. 

Regards

Sangrati 

01.jpeg

02.jpeg

03.jpeg

04.jpeg

05.jpeg

06.jpeg

07.jpeg

08.jpeg

09.jpeg

10.jpeg

11.jpeg

Looking good for your 1st few projects, Sangrati.

Just one recommendation ... watch your widths between the stitch-line and the edge of the project. Usually the width should be approx. as wide as the thickness of the leather, but that can change depending on your personal preference. Some people will stitch a project, then cut, sand and burnish the edge to suit their requirements.

Most important thing of all ... enjoy what you do.

4 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Looking good for your 1st few projects, Sangrati.

Just one recommendation ... watch your widths between the stitch-line and the edge of the project. Usually the width should be approx. as wide as the thickness of the leather, but that can change depending on your personal preference. Some people will stitch a project, then cut, sand and burnish the edge to suit their requirements.

Most important thing of all ... enjoy what you do.

Thank you very much for appreciation and advice.  I will work towards improving the work quality.

Regards

Sangrati