superpacker

Saddle Stitching - Looks Good on the Backside

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:59 AM, superpacker said:

Such helpful and insightful comments. To clarify, I'm not using a groover, I did learn a while a go that that deep channel does force the stitching to lay straight (not always a bad thing, a channeled stitching is certianly helpful in some instances). I'm gonna try some of the suggestions regarding the "front" on the right side, and see how that works. The other thing I think could be causing this is the hold being too deep an wide on the "front" side, and smaller on the back, and the smaller hole forcing the stitch to "S", whereas the deeper holes allow more "elbow room" for the stitch to lay straight. Going to try and just mark the holes with a pricking iron, as opposed to punching them all the way with a chisel, then poke holes by hand with a awl - I think smaller tighter holes will make a difference. I'll makes some observations over the course of this week and possibly the next, and try and report back what I've learned. Thank you!

I punch all the way thru. I do not use an awl. My holes are full thickness all the way thru. The size of your holes is only the problem if the smaller holes are the cause. I noticed it mentioned to pull straight. I personally pull the threads in the direction I want them to lay. If the thread is the lower thread I pull it down and the upper thread gets pulled up. I pull these at about a 45* angle to the work piece. I am thinking that your issue is the way you are laying your thread in relation to the angle of the holes.

This is a test holster I had made. This is the backside.

stitch back.jpg

This is the front side of that same part of the holster.

stitch front.jpg

Edited by Bolt Vanderhuge