Hi,

This is my first bag to make. I was watching a movie on Netflix And a reporter in the 1920s was wearing a leather bag, I thought I’d try to make one. All my own measurements and all hand stitched using .8mm tiger thread and edges painted with Fibings edge kote. Not sure what the leather is but it came from a shoe factory and has a fabulous feel and smell from it. I’m using it for my computers when traveling now.

It didn’t turn out much like the one in the movie except the outline shape :rolleyes2: The stitches went mad in some places :wacko: but over all I’m happy with it. Still not too sure about the closure design but that’s the way it was done in the original bag.

As always, any comments are welcome.

Ger.

93ED2F4A-9D0A-4045-BFE9-C993EABEC4C3.jpeg

6BDAB3F7-06CF-4745-9BD3-5B42F141BAEE.jpeg

41A19BE3-0316-443E-9C23-65B9C367D4EA.jpeg

That is a great looking bag. 

Love it! Really clean lines and great design. I think the closure is great, simple and stylish (and quiet, if you’re in a meeting :rolleyes:). Ton of hand stitching there!!

Oh and I might have to borrow that closure design if I do a bag that I carry in my motorbike’s saddle bags - that way it won’t scratch the paint at all....

This is a very nice design.  Simple yet very useful.  Love the pockets and closure.

Great looking bag.  It's a great design. I can't see the stitching you were complaining about.  I'm thinking no one else will either.

We are our own worst critics.

@bikermutt07, @motocouture, @Willie0 and @rodneywt1180b Thank you all for your nice comments, they’re much appreciated. Even though there was a lot of stitching to this bag it hasn’t put me off trying another one soon. The closure idea isn’t a bad idea just the design of the tab on top I would change the next time. As far as the stitches go, yeah we are our own worst critic but it makes us do a better job the next time. Thanks again.

That's a great first bag! I'm thinking with what you've learned on this one, the next one will be fantastic.

Jeff

On 4/8/2018 at 2:32 PM, KingsCountyLeather said:

The closure idea isn’t a bad idea just the design of the tab on top I would change the next time.

Curious, what would you change about it?  Shape, etc.?

On 8/4/2018 at 9:02 PM, alpha2 said:

That's a great first bag! I'm thinking with what you've learned on this one, the next one will be fantastic.

Jeff

Thanks, I was a bit apprehensive about starting this one for a while but now it’s finished I feel a bit more confident and would like to try more.

23 minutes ago, baroness said:

Curious, what would you change about it?  Shape, etc.?

The circle at the top of the tab. I don’t think it suits the bag. It was a second attempt and I just wanted it finished. I might actually take it off sometime and try a different shape.

It looks great -- I'd like to try one some day.  Great stitching and I love the colour -- what is that?

Great job and thanks for showing the interior.  I think the round strap end looks fine but maybe a shield shape is what you are thinking of.  Saddleback products feature a shield look and it is attractive.  

Very stunning! I like the design and your stitching is fantastic as usual. My machine can't even stitch that good. :) Great job on it!  ;)

-Ryan

9 hours ago, MorningStarL said:

It looks great -- I'd like to try one some day.  Great stitching and I love the colour -- what is that?

Thank you! The hide came from a shoe factory and I think it’s nubuck? I will be meeting with the man who sold it to me this Saturday, I’ll ask him and let you know.

9 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Great job and thanks for showing the interior.  I think the round strap end looks fine but maybe a shield shape is what you are thinking of.  Saddleback products feature a shield look and it is attractive.  

Thanks. I remember looking at saddleback products before... looked like lovely stuff. I’ll look at their design later. Thanks again.

8 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

Very stunning! I like the design and your stitching is fantastic as usual. My machine can't even stitch that good. :) Great job on it!  ;)

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan. There is plenty wrong with my stitching... I know, I just didn’t show you guys.:P To be honest, I like to be able to say it’s all hand sewn and if I was selling it I could probably get more bucks for it, but when I see the stitches your machine produces I think why do I bother putting so much time in to mine? I think you and I started leatherwork around the same time and I’m happy with my progress in that time “for an old man” but you as a young man... it’s so impressive to watch your progress and the interest you have shown in leatherwork and also the friendly communication with all of us on leatherworker.net, your parents should be very proud! Thanks.

19 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Thanks Ryan. There is plenty wrong with my stitching... I know, I just didn’t show you guys.:P To be honest, I like to be able to say it’s all hand sewn and if I was selling it I could probably get more bucks for it, but when I see the stitches your machine produces I think why do I bother putting so much time in to mine? I think you and I started leatherwork around the same time and I’m happy with my progress in that time “for an old man” but you as a young man... it’s so impressive to watch your progress and the interest you have shown in leatherwork and also the friendly communication with all of us on leatherworker.net, your parents should be very proud! Thanks.

I like hand stitching and am quick enough at it ( it took awhile to get up to speed ) that I don't consider it a burden.  I know machines have their place but I have never thought to my self, " Wow, look at that machine stitching!"  However, I often get blown away by some of the traditional saddle stitching on here.  Nothing is perfect and the imperfections that come from hand stitching can be managed and add an aura to the product that is inimitable through machine.

Like I said, machines have their place and if this pursuit was about money and production I'd be first in line to buy a good one.

For now, I carry on and try to raise the bar every chance I get.  Mostly it has been satisfying.

Just saying all of this to encourage our friend from Ireland to keep on stitching!

3 hours ago, Tugadude said:

I like hand stitching and am quick enough at it ( it took awhile to get up to speed ) that I don't consider it a burden.  I know machines have their place but I have never thought to my self, " Wow, look at that machine stitching!"  However, I often get blown away by some of the traditional saddle stitching on here.  Nothing is perfect and the imperfections that come from hand stitching can be managed and add an aura to the product that is inimitable through machine.

Like I said, machines have their place and if this pursuit was about money and production I'd be first in line to buy a good one.

For now, I carry on and try to raise the bar every chance I get.  Mostly it has been satisfying.

Just saying all of this to encourage our friend from Ireland to keep on stitching!

Lol, thanks. I do intend to stay hand stitching and like you said machines have there place. I have arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand and sometimes the hand stitching can be tedious. I also have 2 leather sewing machines and still I like the hand stitching better, but sometimes... I look at the machine and wonder... and I meant what I said about Ryan’s machine, he’s making those stitches look really good too!

if you’re looking for inspiration on hand stitching have a look at this guys work. Amazing. https://www.instagram.com/simaprague

Thanks for that link.  Wow, just wow.  The designs, colors and the stitching are amazing.  Especially the fine stitching.  

6 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Thanks for that link.  Wow, just wow.  The designs, colors and the stitching are amazing.  Especially the fine stitching.  

Yeah... I follow a few people on instragram for inspiration but this guys work is the best ive found. My goal is to be able to sew leather as good as he does, if I get close to 10 percent of his quality I’m still good!:P

Beautiful bag and will definitely garner attention 

4 hours ago, Fire88 said:

Beautiful bag and will definitely garner attention 

Thank you, appreciate that.

That is a lovely bag, when I make messenger bags it seems that a few stitches get astray but that doesn't take anything away from the over all look,and as I said it's lovely 

for inspiration on hand stitching have a look at this guys work. Amazing. https://www.instagram.com/simaprague

Thanks for this link I am just getting started working on leather and seeing the level people have achieved inspires me to work hard at learning.