Stuggi

Another Oil Thread (I know...)

So, after owning my '76 Pfaff 335 H3 for a couple of years (very light use) the former owners oiling job is finally starting to wear of and I might have to start oiling it again. The guy I bought it from was an 80-ish year old sewing machine repairman turned textile manufacturer that was closing up shop and getting rid of all his machines. He slathered the whole machine in this deep yellow sticky oil, that it to this day leaks of after standing a while (I have to keep a piece of cloth under the presser foot to soak up the oil in between uses).

So, now I'm researching what oil I need, and this is turning into quite the rabbit hole

This here thread seems to recommend a ISO VG 15 oil https://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/topic/103874 which to me seem a bit thin (I'm a mechanical engineer so ISO VG oils are quite familiar). In the same thread they link to this oil http://www.gulfstarlubricants.com/sewing-machine-oil/ which is even thinner (ISO VG 10). 

The consensus on here on the other hand seems to be for ISO VG 22, which Mobile also sells https://www.mobil.com/english-cn/industrial/pds/apxxmobil-velocite-sm-series

Pfaff's manuals aren't that helpful, as they only recommend Pfaff sewing machine oil No. 280-1-120 122, which I've not managed to find out what it is. 

The newer manuals for the 335 spec "Only use oil with a viscosity of 22.0 mm^2/s at 40 C and a density of 0,865 g/cm^2. Pfaff recommends Pfaff sewing machine oil, part no. 280-1-120 144", which to me sounds like ISO VG 22 if I remember the specs for ISO VG oils correctly. 

Personally, I'd have use for a ISO VG 22 oil elsewhere in the shop, but I thought I'd get your guys opinion on the matter first. 

On a side note, my mother is threatening to outsource the oiling of her home Bernina machine and Bernina Serger machine to me, any recommendations of oil for those as well? :) 

The default go-to oil for sewing machines here in the U.S. is the "Lily White" sewing machine oil made by AlbaChem  , which has a ISO viscosity of 22. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 1.49.50 PM.png

Any oil that has a color to it will likely cause stains on white fabric, so a truly colorless oil is preferred by many. Trying to get oil stains out of a newly sewn garment is not fun. Some leathers soak up the oil like a sponge and never let it go again. Some leathers have so much oil to begin with, a little extra oil from the machine makes no difference.

Recommended viscosity variations may depend on the oil delivery system the machine was designed for. Manual drip-on-the-parts-that-need-it is different than a pump-driven systems, which in turn are different from systems where wicks deliver the oil throughout the machine.

In all cases, one important factor is what the oil leaves behind when the volatile elements evaporate and the oil dries up. Some natural oils dry to a hard varnish that acts like glue and can lock up a machine in storage. Other oils dry with very little residue, others yet leave behind tiny flecks of Teflon that act as a lubricant even after the oil has dried (e.g. Tri-Flow, but with scary SDS info).

Once you find an oil you like, stick with it and sing its praises online.

3 in 1 is the most popular machine oil used in the uk for sewing machines and also embroidery machines. just act like a watch maker and remember a small amount goes a long long long way

I use TriFlow in my 335 machines (all my sewing machines for that matter)and have for years. I like the way it works and I have never really had an issue with it getting on the goods when sewing. I have used Lily white in the past, works great just prefer the TriFlow. 

If it is manually oiled, you should oil the machine everyday with heavy use. It it sits for days without any usage, should oil it before use, unless it is only for a 5 minute job.  If so, you can stretch out oiling somewhat.

Tom

I've been checking the oil level in the cups/oiling points every time I fire it up, and they are slowly dropping (aka not plugged) but the stuff the PO put in there has been lasting quite some time (extremely tacky stuff). I'll probably take the head of the machine and rinse it out good and proper with a mild solvent and reoil it when I get some proper oil. 

Dear all,

after reading all the thread which was helpfull, iwould like to ask what type of grease should one use for the Bernina 217 (1970). i need to grease the gears since it's ages now not seeing any grease.

Small update, after a lot of research I finally settled on what I know, Mobil Velocite, ie. a light spindle oil that's used in lathes and other metalworking machinery.

Mobil Velocite No. 10 is ISO VG 22, which is what Pfaff ordered for the 335 I have, as for my mothers Bernina machines, No 6 (ISO VG 10) seems to be what Bernina themselves sell in their little oilers, but I couldn't get them to confirm it. 

https://www.mobil.com/en-us/industrial/pds/gl-xx-mobil-velocite-oil-no-series

These are lightly coloured (compared to the saffron bright yellow stuff my machine is full of from the previous owner), have excellent corrosion and emulsion inhibitors, so it should keep the insides free of rust, and knowing what it's used for in the metal industry, I'd say it's more than good enough for my Pfaff. 

Another benefit is that No. 10 is excellent for inline oilers in air systems, so it has it's other uses around the shop.

I use Lilly white sewing machine oil for a lathe as well as sewing machines - it doesn’t smell up the garage nearly as bad and is easier to get out of clothes.

I'd just like to add that there seems to be the same exact oil that Pfaff recommends (22/0.865), it's 'OKS 390 – Cutting Oil for all metals' :)

Edited by MissionVao

On 4/17/2020 at 9:49 PM, DonInReno said:

I use Lilly white sewing machine oil for a lathe as well as sewing machines - it doesn’t smell up the garage nearly as bad and is easier to get out of clothes.

That's very interesting - What kind of lathe? Do you use it in the bearings (and if so, are they plain or ball / roller?), or just on the ways?    I use tractor type hydraulic oil for my lathes, for the same reasons - I hate the smell of the Mobil Vactra way oil, that you're "supposed' to use.

Tom, apologizing, for going off topic......