OLDNSLOW

Latest Iphone case patterns

I searched here along with most of the usual places but didn't turn anything up or I didn't dig deep enough, anyone have any ideas where to find a pattern for some of the latest Iphones maybe the 6 to the most current 8 plusses and even the 10?  Thanks for any help or ideas in making a case.

If you so a search for "iphone 10 specification" (or other make and model), you will find a link like this https://www.apple.com/ca/iphone-x/specs/

It will give the dimensions so you can build to fit.  You can print actual size and even get the proper radius for the corners.  I have made wooden blocks the same size as the specifications so I could wet mold a case to fit.  Tandy has some self adhesive tacky stuff now that you can adhere to the leather and just press against the phone's back to hold it in place.  Got a piece on sale a while ago, have yet to make anything using it.  It's called "Nano Suction Sheet".  https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/nano-suction-sheet-8-1-2-x-11-x-1-mm-216-x-279-x-1-mm

Tom

I bought this case a while back. The main piece wraps around the phone and does its job, however, the 2 attachments snap into the main piece. I dropped it with the flap open and broke the little tabs that hold them both in.

https://www.tech21.com/en_us/evo-wallet-s8-black

I know the concept that I want to do to get the flap back, in leather, but the details are what I am looking for. I will also probably contact cement the case part to some leather. Just trying to figure out how I want to construct the flap, be it with a little flap inside the main one like the original or a bit different.

some times I need to think things out real well in order for it to make sense to me, once I get passed that then It all falls in to place.

Like Tom, I have made wooden blocks to mold my leather around.  After making a case, it can be stretched by wetting the case and adding an 8/9oz. piece to the mold and remolding to fit the phone.  One problem you'll find when making a case for someone,  they neglect to tell you that they have a protection trim around their phone.  Always look and measure the phone yourself, don't count on the customer's figure being correct.

Ron

1 hour ago, Tob said:

I bought this case a while back. The main piece wraps around the phone and does its job, however, the 2 attachments snap into the main piece. I dropped it with the flap open and broke the little tabs that hold them both in.

https://www.tech21.com/en_us/evo-wallet-s8-black

I know the concept that I want to do to get the flap back, in leather, but the details are what I am looking for. I will also probably contact cement the case part to some leather. Just trying to figure out how I want to construct the flap, be it with a little flap inside the main one like the original or a bit different.

I have used Kydex to make clips that hold the phone, either wrapped around the sides or top to bottom.  Heat formed it, and cemented it to the leather case.  I have used a wallet style that flips up to open or like a book cover that flips to the left side.  I think the book type is more user friendly and shields the ear from some of the ambient noise.  There are also photos here somewhere that show the ruggedized case cemented or riveted to a leather wallet cover.  Some ideas for you.  I might use that Nano Suction stuff for the next one instead of clips.

Tom

Thanks for your guys input!

very simple to do , its DIY thing ..... grab some 5-6 oz veg-tan leather and split it using a leather splitter with a thickness of 2mm and then follow the iPhone spces on the apple website for the dimensions, if you don't like to proceed with dimensions then all you got do is to put your iPhone in a zip lock bag and then put the 2mm splitted leather in a  warm water for about 20-30 minutes and then take the wet leather and lay it on top of the iPhone with the ziplock on so the iPhone wont get in touch with the wet leather, and then form the leather from the side using a leather awl and then place pins (like the one used on news board) around the iPhone where you ran the leather awl, you might face a small problem where the leather crumble a little around, so all you go do to fix that is to cut the leather where the bulges are in triangle shapes or if you like to leave it crumpled around the edges of the leather that is fine because its going to be removed when the wet leather forms and drys out.

after it dries out, remove the pins around the the iphone and put the iPhone away, and  get yourself the stitch wheel with 6 holes per inch and run around the leather where the pins used to be, after that leave about 1/8" extra material away from the stitch line,

after that, grab a leather cement and put it only at the 1/8" clearance area and glue it to the base of the leather, by now you should have the base of the leather and the front piece where you ran the stitch wheel. leave the cement to dry out,

and then grab a leather chisel and punch holes around the stitch line where you ran the stitch wheel, after the holes are done, stitch the leather using saddle stitch and then all you go do so to sand the leather edges with 150 grit sand paper to smooth the

surface, its preferable to wet the leather edges and then sand it lightly to get a smooth surface, after that dye the edges with the desired color and then use the slicker to burnish the colored edges using gum trag.

and finally dye the iPhone case whichever color you like. I wont recommend using water based dye because they rub off a lot even after applying the sheen finish on them , so its recommended to used oil based dye. (oil based dye takes some time to drys out so be patient and don't touch it before its completely dry or it will leave some finger prints on the leather after it drys out) just after you dye leave it one full day 24 hours to dry in a room temperature, no direct sun light.

BINGO you got an iPhone leather case :yeah:

Edited by AJ2018