Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

inexpensive pattern material

I'm looking for some inexpensive pattern material that will last a long time allowing me to cut out the leather along the pattern itself.

So far, I've come up with 1/8" hardboard and 1/8" white plastic cutting board material. Currently I use posterboard to race the outline of the pattern. Then I use a traight edge to cut along the lines. This is a bit too time consuming.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Ed

HPIM0135.JPGHPIM0132.JPGHere are a couple of examples of patterns I use. What I use depends on what the item is for.

Example 1. I find pictures and if it is not quite the right size I blow it up in a photocopier. I then put the pattern inside a laminte sheet and run it thru the laminator. I usually make the pattern about 1/8" smaller than I want the finised item. This way when I cut it out the edge of the laminate is still sealed.

2. I use heavy vinyl or even better linoleum offcuts from a flooring store for large stuff like the grey example on the left.

3. The other example of a laminated pattern is a little different. I have again laminated the pattern but this time I have run it thru the sewing machine without thread. When I want to use it I lightly dust a piece of sheepskin with talc and the rub over the pattern. Little bits of the talc go thru the stitching holes onto the leather. I then run over the talc line with a single creaser/tickler,making any minor adjustments I want. When happy I wipe off the excess talc. This example is the pic on the right.

Barra.

post-1669-1182664168_thumb.jpg

post-1669-1182664336_thumb.jpg

I'm looking for some inexpensive pattern material that will last a long time allowing me to cut out the leather along the pattern itself.

So far, I've come up with 1/8" hardboard and 1/8" white plastic cutting board material. Currently I use posterboard to race the outline of the pattern. Then I use a traight edge to cut along the lines. This is a bit too time consuming.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Ed

I picked up some 1/8" hardboard at home depot today, cut out some patterns, and put a couple coats of lacquer on the edges.

I had to choose between polyeurethane, which I think I should have got, and lacquer. I chose the latter because it had a drying time of about 30 minutes. Perhaps I should have picked up a resin.

Any ideas for what the best type of finish would be to protect the the edges of the hardboard pattern as I cut out pieces of leather around it? I think this is a better method than tracing around a posterboard pattern and then cutting out the peices with a straight edge and blade.

Also, any ideas as to what would be the best kind of knife or blade for cutting 1/8" hardboard?

As always, thanks for the help.

Ed

I use photocopy transparent film (I think his name is vinyle, a plastic), is better than xray film or print in paper. Sometimes I print my patterns from my computer to the laser printer in the transparent films and after I trace the pattern on the leather easily.

If you have near from you a printing press or a printing works store they use a similar film to the xray one and within toxic waste. Also there is a transparent or translucent plastic for binding photocopies (is like craftaid plastic with one millimetre thick) which you can made your patterns for to cut the leather pieces.

High density polyethyline sheets, about 1/8" thinck are perfect for this.

do you have a link or were i can get high density polythyline sheets?

the best stuff I have found for patterns is "wacky carpet" or "crazy carpet" it is thick enough that it cuts well with a round knife, is rigid enough that you can trace the pattern forever and the edges will stay true. They are also fairly cheap.

just google "wacky carpet"