terryHHI

Doctor Bag Restoration

I had a weak moment at an antique shop on Saturday and purchased an old Crouch & Fitzgerald (New York) doctor or Gladstone bag.  At first, I liked the hardware and thought I'd use the old hardware on a new bag.  After looking at the bag for a few days, I've decided I'd like to try to "restore" it as much as possible and see if I can use it.

There is a Great Lakes Exposition sticker on the bag and the Exposition was in the summers of 1936 and 1937.   I'm guessing the bag was made in the mid 1930s. 

Here are my thoughts on restoring. Based on searching and reading accounts of restoring other items, I've decided to try the Preservation Solutions products.

1. First step is to clean the leather. I purchased a bottle of Leather Cleaner from Preservation Solutions. I'd like to preserve the Great Lake Exposition sticker if possible.  I'm also not too worried about the black areas.  I can't tell what they are but this bag is never going to look new and the stains give it character.  I don't think the black is mold or rot.  If you think the black is a problem, please let me know.

2. The leather is dry, but not terrible. Also purchased Leather Rejuvenator for Damaged Leather.  This product puts the oil back into the leather and softens it.

3. I think it may need some polish, but I'll wait to see how it turns out before deciding what type of finish it needs.

4.  The lining is going to take some work.  The lining appears to be a light canvas and in good shape other then the dirt and stains.  I want to clean it without removing it.  It isn't attached to the bottom so I can pull the lining out and get good access.  My thought is to start with Woolite, a sponge and a tooth brush and start slow and see what happens.  If the Woolite doesn't cut it, then keep moving up to stronger soaps.

5. Some of the stitching is gone but stitching looks like easiest fix.  After the bag is cleaned and oiled, I'll find a thread color that will blend with the leather and original thread and start mending.

What am I missing?  I'd appreciate any insight you have on how to tackle this project.

Side2.jpg

Side1.jpg

Inside.jpg

A couple additional pictures.  

The bag is 18" length, 14" height, and 10" depth.

End.jpg

Close.jpg

By the looks of it, there was a "pull tab" at the center lock area. So you would grasp the tab to open. You can see the lighter area of colour on the side leather.

The lining used would of been a irish linen material. The thread sewn with would prob of been a 4 cord irish linen thread. Maybe a 5 cord but most times were sewed 4 cord. Barbour irish linen thread was the main supplier/type of thread used back then.  What colour is the thread? White or yellow were the main colours used on bags from that era... but back then  barbours came in yellow,white,brown,black, were the main colours. But i have balls of thread in yellow,white,cream,brown,black,light blue,green,red,orange,grey,navy.....

There is the yellow or tan that prob would of used back then. Needed to be run through a wax pot on machines when being sewed... Hand sewing you need to use beeswax on thread.

Depends how far you want to rebuild it. You can pull completely apart, pull all the thread,restiffen leather,resew it all and put back together. Or restitch areas that need to be restitched, Brasso will make the locks shine again if you want that.

image1.jpeg

Hi TerryHHI,

What a GREAT find!

I would definitely revamp that collectible...but not overdo it. Accept it is an old bag and replacing any leather won't add value.

The black markings on the leather looks to me like the remnants of stickers that were pasted to the bag OR its possible that it could be printers ink that came of newspaper wrapped around the bag and it got wet.

Useless piece of info - Tarzan (Johnny Weismuller - then olympic swimmer) was one of the main attractions at the Exposition!

Please post pics once you have finished restoration.

I don't think its a Doctors Gladstone, as I think they were compartmalised inside, to hold bottles and other goods separate, so just a magnificent old Gladstone traveling bag, Carpet bags were the same design, but used cheaper thick woven material rather than leather

leathersmyth - thanks for the insight and information.  I haven't decided how far I want to go with restoration.  I'm a little concerned that taking it apart may cause more issues then expected.  My current thinking is to restore the leather and see how it looks and then make a decision on how far to go. The thread is yellow.  I'll be hand sewing as much as possible.  One issue is finding a way to open the lining and get inside the bag.  

dirkba - my wife gave me similar advice - embrace the age and unique old bag and don't try to over-restore it.  I looked more closely at black areas and it looks like it could be printers ink.  I'll post pictures and info on what I'm doing during the project.

chrisash - I think you are right, I wasn't sure exactly how to describe it.  

Today I'm starting on cleaning lining with Woolite, a toothbrush and a sponge and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

On those types of bags, the lining as put in last and then stitched, The only real way to get in there is to unstitch where the lining is sewn. Which will be the threads where the frame is....  It is going to be a chain stitch so if you open the chain the right way,it will just pull out like a flour sack stitch (if you have ever seen flour sacks that are stitched closed)  You pull the thread as much as you need to ,to get your hand in to stitch the areas needed.   I have rebuilt 100's of these sorts of bags,and made many of the style, so i know rebuilding will take time. And the thread will be finicky to restitch where you need to restitch....  Sometimes if there are areas of missing stitch with good areas in between,it is easier to pull out the good stitch and replace say 10 inch of thread with new thread rather than  6 inch of one stitch holes needing replacing.....

Leathersmyth - thanks for the advice. I’ve seen way too many feed sacks with chain stitch tops.  I didn’t realize that’s how the linings where attached.  I’ll dig around and see if I can find the end.