I didn't really know what tags to use.  I normally make one sheath at a time, for a man who makes one knife at a time, as he feels like making it in the moment.  Then he got an order for 8 -- these six are for members of a military unit, and they're special.  A friend of the client, who's not in the unit, wanted one anyway, so that made seven.  And the knifemaker decided to go ahead and do another, with a different handle, just to do it -- so that was 8 sheaths.  All more or less the same as this -- one left-handed and the rest right.  9-10 ounce vegtan; hand-cut; I make the stitching holes with the awl clamped in a drill press cuz my hands are weak and I have arthritis and trigger finger.  Stitching by hand -- 1 mm Tiger thread in Havanna Cigar.  Fiebing's Saddle Tan -- which wasn't always co-operative.  And the knifemaker was nervous about the whole thing, so he wasn't always all that co-operative either.  They went out to the client yesterday.

After reading a lot about finishes, I melted mink oil and bee's wax together, 50-50.  It's hard and a little sticky.  Takes a lot of rubbing in, and a lot of buffing.  I used a wheel for that.  And I love that high-gloss it gave, after three coats of 50-50 Resolene and water.  

I was sick on the weekend and finished the buffing with little time before the client arrived.  These are the knifemaker's photos -- they don't have the angles I'd have used, but I'm not gonna complain at this point.  I'm kinda glad they're gone -- they were starting to weigh on me.  

Six sheaths.jpg

Some edges.jpg

Very nice!  They present very well, good smooth edges, color, everything.  Hopefully your next order isn't as stressful.

Thanks -- it GOT stressful the night I knocked over the bottle of Saddle Tan dye, all over the basement floor.  I'd ordered more cuz I knew I'd use it up -- but we had to put off the delivery date.  Thank you.

Very nice work, very nice edges. 

Your description of the whole process made me chuckle. I guess you should add writing short stories to leatherwork.

5 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Very nice!  They present very well, good smooth edges, color, everything.  Hopefully your next order isn't as stressful.

I could not say it any better:16:

Very fine work...I especially like the border stamp detail! If its any consolation at all, Saddle Tan dye is a bane to more than just yourself...I personally dread it sometimes...that color can be persnickety to get the shade I'm after (not too light nor too dark after oiling/finishing).

People can say "don't stress so much"...but the fact is NO ONE is as much a stickler for the final product or constant improvement as the one sitting at the bench...we can be our own harshest critic.

Nice looking sheaths.   I know they are going to LOVE them!

For some reason, saddle tan is a bitch color.  When it works right, tho, it is one of my favorites.  

Ya done good.

- Bill

Very very classy looking work I like it clean, simple great job! One question why did you choose to not do the edges and black just a curiosity, and for my take I think black would have really set the color that you chose or that the customer chose off very well nonetheless again very classy work!

2 hours ago, Sanch said:

Very very classy looking work I like it clean, simple great job! One question why did you choose to not do the edges and black just a curiosity, and for my take I think black would have really set the color that you chose or that the customer chose off very well nonetheless again very classy work!

I’d have liked very much to do that, but I haven’t done it before and I didn’t want this order to be my first.  It already had minor calamaities, and the knifemaker kept phoning the client and saying, “You can pick them up Saturday,” or some other day, and then I’d knock over the bottle of dye and spill it all, or get stomach flu, or some other darn thing ...

And, thank you.

4 hours ago, Double Daddy said:

Very fine work...I especially like the border stamp detail! If its any consolation at all, Saddle Tan dye is a bane to more than just yourself...I personally dread it sometimes...that color can be persnickety to get the shade I'm after (not too light nor too dark after oiling/finishing).

People can say "don't stress so much"...but the fact is NO ONE is as much a stickler for the final product or constant improvement as the one sitting at the bench...we can be our own harshest critic.

Yes, I see flaws all the time.  It helps a lot to let all y’all look at them with a clean eye.  Thanks.

9 hours ago, LederRudi said:

Very nice work, very nice edges. 

Your description of the whole process made me chuckle. I guess you should add writing short stories to leatherwork.

I do some story-writing, too.  It’s also fun and nerve-wracking.  Thanks.

I think you did a great job on those knife sheaths. It’s a shame your client put you under stress while making them. I would hate that.

i have some problems with my hands while sewing... if you’re interested, I bought my awls from a guy on instragram (Japan I think) they’re the most amazingly sharp tools. So comfortable in my hand and I think I paid around 40 bucks plus 8 for shipping. I can punch through any leather with ease. https://www.instagram.com/kevinlee4426  have a look some time?

7 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

I think you did a great job on those knife sheaths. It’s a shame your client put you under stress while making them. I would hate that.

i have some problems with my hands while sewing... if you’re interested, I bought my awls from a guy on instragram (Japan I think) they’re the most amazingly sharp tools. So comfortable in my hand and I think I paid around 40 bucks plus 8 for shipping. I can punch through any leather with ease. https://www.instagram.com/kevinlee4426  have a look some time?

Thanks.  Mine are Douglas awls, and they're very sharp (and I take aspirin for a heart condition, so sometimes keeping blood off the leather is my big focus), but I'll look at these too.  

Those are gorgeous!  I have a thing about tools -- make my own when I can -- and if I'm going to use them, they should be as attractive as function permits.  Thanks!