DONAG

Locking thread to needle

Had a big problem yesterday stitching up an item.  4 times I had to redo it as the first 3 the thread started shredding and unraveled while hand stitching.  Tex92 thread 3 strand bonded thread and all three colors I have do the same thing about 1/3rd of the way through the jobs.

Worked up a real sweat due to aggravation and anger

Sometimes I can make it last by using my finger as a tensioner to stop the thread from bunching up (once it starts shredding), but find it's usually a twice done job.

Decided to use my cheap Chinese thread which worked better, but found it's a little darker brown than I like.

White and black bonded service thread.  Never a problem.

So.  Why is this happening?  No problems with the thicker thread.  Is it the 3 strand thread?  Becoming unraveled by twisting and turning of the needle while hand stitching?

Thread is locked as shown on the Bowstock site.  Tried a knot, tried heat sealing the thread at the hole (worked a bit better, but weakened thread and broke)

I noticed in another thread it was mentioned to heal seal the end of the thread, so will have to try that

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

DON

I pull off more thread than I need.  6X the length I am stitching.  Then pull several inches through the needles.  No knot, no heating, just leave it.  If several inches of it fray, who cares it's getting cut at the end.  Is your needle at the very end of the thread and knotted to it?  If so, try giving yourself some more room.  

I dont know what they are suggesting on the bowstock site but with my braided thread I reverse and poke through the thread making a sort of knot but then I take my clump of bees wax and give it a good going over just at the knot or just at the eye of the needle and down about 1.5 2 inches. The bees wax acts like glue and I never have a problem with it coming undone.

I just loop the thread through the needle twice. It seems to hold ok, but sometimes it causes the needle to stick. Using the "Large Eye needle for blind old fools" doesn't help that either.

Thanks guys,

I peel off a few feet of thread.  Leave a couple of inches, pierce and slide over the needle to create a locking loop

Problem as mentioned is the 3 strand thread which begins to unravel as you turn and pull the needle thread through.  It's sewing machine thread, but still thick enough at .33 mm

I forgot to mention I use nylon thread as I can heat seal the finished ends when done

No problem with the big needles.  It's the tiny ones

Thanks again

DON

I use 18/3 waxed linen thread with either Tandy 'large eye' needles or John James #2 . Started off doing the usual thread piercing/ locking method as shown in tutorials, handbooks, videos and so on

Then I thought 'Why?' So now I just use a generous amount of thread, say 6X the length of the stitching line, and just fold it over, as in any other hand stitching; then pull it tight as usual. I've been doing that for 2 or 3 years now, and have no problems sewing, nor any complaints about the finished work

Edited by zuludog

I tried waxed thread and never liked it.  Found some actually grabbed dye color from the leather.

I tried the double loop lock and it worked fine.  Thread made it all the way without shredding or bunching up

Trying to figure out another problem, but working on it and see if I can correct it

Thanks

DON

6 hours ago, DONAG said:

I tried waxed thread and never liked it.  Found some actually grabbed dye color from the leather.

I tried the double loop lock and it worked fine.  Thread made it all the way without shredding or bunching up

Trying to figure out another problem, but working on it and see if I can correct it

Thanks

DON

While there is many ways to skin a cat ... Your issue with dye pickup on waxed thread is a technique and procedure thing  and not a waxed thread thing. If you just prefer the look of unwaxed that is an aesthetic decision and every craftsperson has to do what feels right to them. I use light colored waxed thread on dark dyed leathers regularly without problem of pickup.

Still even if you dont like waxed thread .. Just waxing the area close to the eyelet should get you what you want.

Not uncommon for waxed thread to pick up dye or glue from a project.  It should clean up easily though.  Just rub lightly with a clean cloth, or brush.