Hello, guys!

So as a leatherworker, I thought I should be wearing a belt that I made... so I made one my style... thick

I used two pieces of 9 oz leather at 1.5 inches wide... do the math and you get an 18 oz thick belt. I glued the flesh sides together and then stitched it up so I have the smooth on both sides. It's like lining it with itself.

It should last the rest of my life as well as my future kids and grandkids and so forth.  It will also make a very good spanking strap. (Note: I did not make my dad one.) :lol:

Comments/critique welcome.

3240245749025339537.jpg.af80d06385adb0ef73784881c8b7126f.jpg6774417923158447773.jpg.dbbc5606e1c728cabb0735743618863a.jpg2639770120221916956.jpg.4416e8760ec15758ee99bbde304a79b2.jpg

Oh, and before you ask, no, I didn't win the buckle. :) 

Thanks for looking!

-Ryan

Too heavy for my taste -- but should come in handy if'n a feller ever gotta pull a steer outda mud of git 'is truck down in some soft sand!  I'd needa bringa young fella help me tote it :o

I think yer right.. should be around a L O N G time!

Just now, JLSleather said:

Too heavy for my taste -- but should come in handy if'n a feller ever gotta pull a steer outda mud of git 'is truck down in some soft sand!  I'd needa bringa young fella help me tote it :o

I think yer right.. should be around a L O N G time!

Hahaha! Funny you say that. I was just talking to a friend and I told him it's a substitute for a trailer hitch. lol! Everyone needs this belt in the back of his truck so he's ready for anything. :rofl:

Thanks!

-Ryan

That's nice, Ryan, I like that!  It's certainly a lot of leather but I think it's cool like that.  Nice stitching, too.  My grandpa always wore a belt with stitching like that so it always catches my eye.

Actually, how do you bend over with that buckle? 

I've been planning on doing a decorative stitch like that serpentine one you have going there, I assume you layed it out then free-handed it with your 4500?

BTW, here's a pic of when I last saw a belt that strong used...:lol:

AIR_CH-53E_M113_Liftoff.jpg

That belt looks like it'd be handy for driving in fence posts too... except it's too pretty to contemplate doing!

Thanks, @Jack1970 !

4 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Actually, how do you bend over with that buckle? 

I've been planning on doing a decorative stitch like that serpentine one you have going there, I assume you layed it out then free-handed it with your 4500?

BTW, here's a pic of when I last saw a belt that strong used...:lol:

AIR_CH-53E_M113_Liftoff.jpg

I laughed so hard when I saw that pic! 

I cut out a football-shape piece of cardstock and then traced the outline on the leather with my stitching awl. I don't think I could make it that nice without a line to follow. :rolleyes2:

I'm kinda skinny so that buckle doesn't get in the way that much. Otherwise it'd be on the shelf. :) 

@Matt S Anything I wear gets beat up and abused so I'll probably end up driving fence posts with it anyways. :lol:

-Ryan

I didn't mean free-handed without a line to follow! Heaven's, no. 

And, when I saw that pic, my first thought was, "well, yeah, the APC or whatever is heavy, but they'll still have take into account the weight of the buckle!"

4 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

I didn't mean free-handed without a line to follow! Heaven's, no. 

And, when I saw that pic, my first thought was, "well, yeah, the APC or whatever is heavy, but they'll still have take into account the weight of the buckle!"

Well with a belt that thick and a buckle that big... what could go wrong?

You're young, you'll soon learn to NEVER ask that question.

For instance, the wind could catch that buckle, and who knows where you'd end up!

Seriously, though, nice work, as always. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. 

BTW, we were up in Steamboat Springs over the weekend for a conference, and at dinner, Jenny pulled out her new pen...well, everyone had to try it! Jenny says she's never had a pen that wrote so easily and smoothly. Excellent choice on the cartridge/refill! I keep threatening to make her a custom wet-molded case for it, but she won't have it. She loves the pull-up leather one.

Jeff

5 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

You're young, you'll soon learn to NEVER ask that question.

For instance, the wind could catch that buckle, and who knows where you'd end up!

Seriously, though, nice work, as always. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. 

BTW, we were up in Steamboat Springs over the weekend for a conference, and at dinner, Jenny pulled out her new pen...well, everyone had to try it! Jenny says she's never had a pen that wrote so easily and smoothly. Excellent choice on the cartridge/refill! I keep threatening to make her a custom wet-molded case for it, but she won't have it. She loves the pull-up leather one.

Jeff

LOL! But you actually do have a point. I didn't even think of the wind. Wow, I really do have a lot to learn... :huh:

I agree with your wife. You should always stick with the product made by the leatherworker you trust MOST. :rofl:

I'm glad she likes it!

Well, if leather working doesn't work out you could persue a career in tank treads.

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Well, if leather working doesn't work out you could persue a career in tank treads.

Hmmm... now there's an idea! 

Fine belt, Ryan! Super stout construction...full-length 'stand-out' built right in...there's not a tape measure on the market, to my knowledge, that has that feature!

Really nice job on the stitching!