WilburLeather

How to use zippers in your leatherwork

Hey guys, as was requested, I've uploaded a video on using zippers in your leatherwork on my YouTube Channel. Unlike some of my other videos, in this one I walk through exactly what I'm doing for you to follow along. So, if you're at all interested in using zippers in any of your leatherwork, I would highly recommend you check out the video here.

Nice effort on the video, but you skipped a most important part... how did you hold the zipper in place while you stitched it in? Did you glue it in? Did you use some special bonding agent? In the video you mentioned taping the zipper in, when when you came back that the taping and stitching was done. So, what does the tape look like and how does it work? Tape that I've used did not hold the zipper in place very well, so I wanted to see how you did that.

Hi again, I was the one who requested the zipper video.

I think it’s great you take the time to upload the videos to help new leather workers out. 

I would suggest that you show the actual process of you attaching the zipper and the difficulties you might incur while doing so?  The way you have edited the process could have been done with pictures because you did all the work off camera. Anyone starting off worth leather work needs to see every step you take including the stitches and gluing.  I myself have probably put in 100 solid hours of stitching alone trying to perfect the saddle stitch and still have more to go.

I think you need to give a much more hands on approach and less off camera work even if the work is shown in fast motion.

Im sorry for being negative. I do think you should continue to post videos but more informative ones.

What is "double-sided leather tape" that you refer to? I am a visual person, so I'm not sure if that helps me understand what brand you are using or how the tape gets applied. Does it go on the zipper, then you press the zipper onto the leather? How do you know when it has been properly aligned? I'm sure it is not complicated, but just wanted to see the entire process.

@WilburLeather, the video worked for me (I also made the request). For someone at my skill level, which isn't very high, I found the video to be plenty informative.

Thanks for taking the fear out of it for me, and thanks for the sissy juice contribution.;)

Like the others mentioned, it could contain a bit more information for newer folks.

@LatigoAmigo, double-sided leather tape is available at Tandy or online. It works pretty well.

Are you talking about Tandy's Leather Tanner's Bond Adhesive Tape for example? It gets some pretty good reviews on Amazon. How does it differ from "ordinary" double-sided tape, like that found at an art supply store?

15 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Are you talking about Tandy's Leather Tanner's Bond Adhesive Tape for example? It gets some pretty good reviews on Amazon. How does it differ from "ordinary" double-sided tape, like that found at an art supply store?

It's not as thick. It's more like a thin layer of contact cement on wax paper.  There isn't actually tape or fibers in it. So, it's very thin when applied. I don't think it works as well as cement, but it will hold long enough to stitch a line. 

I just use a bit of contact cement to hold my zipper in place and it works just fine. I find that i like to buy separate zipper stops and not depend on the leather to be the stop. If you are going to be doing a bunch with zippers its far more economical to just get a bag of stops and a long length of zipper but you can add the stop to premade zippers you get at the sewing store as well. After I install the stop at the top of the zipper I remove most of the teeth after it so when I bend it down into the work it is just the ribbon. Just appears a bit tidier.

20180409124838-c0d20be6-me.jpg

20180409124911-dfe46405-me.jpg

36 minutes ago, Boriqua said:

I just use a bit of contact cement to hold my zipper in place and it works just fine. I find that i like to buy separate zipper stops and not depend on the leather to be the stop. If you are going to be doing a bunch with zippers its far more economical to just get a bag of stops and a long length of zipper but you can add the stop to premade zippers you get at the sewing store as well. After I install the stop at the top of the zipper I remove most of the teeth after it so when I bend it down into the work it is just the ribbon. Just appears a bit tidier.

20180409124838-c0d20be6-me.jpg

20180409124911-dfe46405-me.jpg

Do you use a special tool for the teeth and stop?

No the stops have 4 sharp prongs on the back side. You just push them down over the last teeth where you want the stop through the fabric and I just bend the prongs down with the side of a screwdriver. You dont need a ton of ribbon after if at all so cut where you need it to end and just pull out a few teeth by prying them off. They are also basically press fit. If you leave alot of ribbon and its at a curve or turn it tends to bunch and create an unsightly gap. Since you installed the stop you can get away with just a mall amount of ribbon.

1 hour ago, Boriqua said:

No the stops have 4 sharp prongs on the back side. You just push them down over the last teeth where you want the stop through the fabric and I just bend the prongs down with the side of a screwdriver. You dont need a ton of ribbon after if at all so cut where you need it to end and just pull out a few teeth by prying them off. They are also basically press fit. If you leave alot of ribbon and its at a curve or turn it tends to bunch and create an unsightly gap. Since you installed the stop you can get away with just a mall amount of ribbon.

Thanks, I will look into those zippers.   By the way, Nice looking bags there! :)

@Boriqua Those are awesome. I think you have an unique of humor ,and I like it!!:rofl:

10 hours ago, JD62 said:

@Boriqua Those are awesome. I think you have an unique of humor ,and I like it!!:rofl:

The one shaped like a coffin is actually a back pack!  :)

20180409124903-4f5cd5a4-me.jpg

On 12/04/2018 at 4:58 AM, bikermutt07 said:

It's not as thick. It's more like a thin layer of contact cement on wax paper.  There isn't actually tape or fibers in it. So, it's very thin when applied. I don't think it works as well as cement, but it will hold long enough to stitch a line. 

A problem I have found with using double sided tape is that if you end up stitching through it then you can gum up your needles