st235

saving money on granite

I was going to buy a granite from Tandy. $30 for 12 by 15 inch peace. but shipping was $47, ouch. Went to a granite counter top shop and got one peace 11 by 34 1 1/4 inch thick for $5 and another same price 18 by 26. they had three piles of scrap that size and bigger. now I have build two work benches. 

Yep, and I will say it again for this thread. Anyone in the arklatex area come see me. I got scraps in the yard.

I'm in Bossier City. I have some oval vanity cut outs and some that are roughly 20 x 30. If you make the trip you can have more than one.

Edited by bikermutt07

On 4/21/2018 at 7:45 AM, SteveHolt said:

Hey Biker, I’m in Northwest Arkansas. And desperately needing a larger granite piece to replace my 6x6. Haha. 

Whereabouts you located sir?

I'm also in Bossier, I plan on making a trip through that way this summer heading to see the folks in MO, I wouldn't mind carving out some space and meeting up along hwy65.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:04 AM, koreric75 said:

I'm also in Bossier, I plan on making a trip through that way this summer heading to see the folks in MO, I wouldn't mind carving out some space and meeting up along hwy65.

Koreric...that’d be awesome! I’m in Fayetteville, so I could meet you somewhere like Harrison maybe? Shoot me a message when you head up this way! Thank you!

On 4/21/2018 at 9:54 AM, bikermutt07 said:

I'm in Bossier City. I have some oval vanity cut outs and some that are roughly 20 x 30. If you make the trip you can have more than one.

Biker, thanks brother! If I’m down that way, I will absolutely give you a shout!

@SteveHolt, Eric and I live in the same town. When he comes thru it will be from both of us.  Cheers.

Buy a 3 inch thick surface plate from Shars tools or woodcraft.  They are smoother, heavier and all around better then cutouts and they dampen noise and vibes better too.  I think you can get a small one for under 50 bucks.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, immiketoo said:

3 inch thick surface plate

I worked in hardware stores for more than 10 years, plus I frequent woodwork speciality stores quite often, but I do not recognise the term "surface plate". Can you tell me, what is the intended use of this item please?

Its a precision piece of granite used in machining to test tolerances, layout, inspection or when you need a perfectly flat assembly surface.

http://www.shars.com/products/measuring/surface-plates/grade-a-9-x-12-black-granite-surface-plate

Hmmm ... far more techy and top quality precision than the big-box hardware stores I have worked in, and the timber speciality stores also know nothing. I am thinking an engineering supplies company would be a better bet, but I don't think there will be any change from $100AUS maybe $200AUS. I will stick with my two layers of 20mm granite floor tiles that I glued back to back with tile adhesive.  

5 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

Hmmm ... far more techy and top quality precision than the big-box hardware stores I have worked in, and the timber speciality stores also know nothing. I am thinking an engineering supplies company would be a better bet, but I don't think there will be any change from $100AUS maybe $200AUS. I will stick with my two layers of 20mm granite floor tiles that I glued back to back with tile adhesive.  

Woodcraft carried them a few years ago, but whatever makes you happy.  Have a pic of those tiles?

Not with me, but I will take a couple and post them up.

They're a basic setup, that I did not think warranted posting.

I've not heard of a store called Woodcraft. About all we have within 3000kms is Timbecon (Australian company I think) and Carbatech, which might also be just in Australia.

Edited by Rockoboy

I'm just curious to see what you mean.  I started tooling on an old printing block for a medical book.  It was cement.  My life got better when I got the surface plate. :P

You are likely to find a surface plate in any metal machine shop, or places that supply machine tools.  They are pretty much always a hefty chunk of granite that is perfectly flat, and used to gauge anything that must be absolutely flat across a distance.  They come in different grades referring to the degree of flatness.  For our purposes lesser grades would be fine.   In machine shops where high precision is required, they are occasionally lapped and re-calibrated as in this youtube video.   They can be expensive (better grades more-so), but have the advantages of being heavy granite and more or less readily available.

-Bill

22 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Have a pic of those tiles?

The tiles were given to me, by somebody who wanted them gone without any effort (by him), and stuck together with tile adhesive recommended by the tile store (half a bag from their rubbish pile for free).

This stamping surface is approx. 350mm X 250mm by 40mm thick.

I have a couple more that are closer to 600mm X 450mm X 40mm thick, but this one is fine for everything I have done so far.

I have used some large 3D stamps with a 32oz copper head mallet, where I have struck the stamp several times as hard as I can (ex-boilermaker), and the slabs are still unmarked.

The bloke in the tile store said this set-up will be stronger than a single slab because the defects and grain do not go right through, they will be more like plywood.

granite or marble tiles.jpg

marble tiles side view.jpg

I go to my local granite countertop folks. I asked the owner if I could have any scrap, and he walked me over to a bin and said help yourself. I asked him if he's like a new belt..and now I get all mt scraps cut to size.

I go through granite which I use for my 12 ton press and the scrap pieces occasionally shatter if I am a bit to enthusiastic.

Bob

What kind of process are you doing with the granite and the 12 ton press. 

Good day 

Floyd

Both embossing plates and dies. A poor man's clicker press. I also have a 2 ton arbor for smaller jobs.

Bob