Ipschnug

Singer 78-3 Leather Needles

Yes,alot of the old Singers were pinned.

3 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Mine is pinned as well, at first I thought it was a tiny screw until I cleaned it lol.... 

4 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

My 1923 Singer 31-15 has the shuttle driver pinned to the shaft. The only way to (slightly) alter the timing is by bending the driver arms in or out.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:15 PM, Wizcrafts said:

My 1923 Singer 31-15 has the shuttle driver pinned to the shaft. The only way to (slightly) alter the timing is by bending the driver arms in or out.

Or heat the shaft & twist it.

6 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Or convert it to a later model bottom shaft that has a slot and use a newer shuttle driver.

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Or convert it to a later model bottom shaft that has a slot and use a newer shuttle driver.

:17:Good idea!  I was wondering looking through the manual with the different model year parts if different pieces would still fit and function properly, just the newer models had been improved upon...

10 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

So you want to see what it looks like when a 40lb sewing machine gets thrown across the garage...lol

Well, you guys are more industrious than I am but I like the ideas. Fortunately the one I found is in good condition and it's in time. Would be a hard machine to toss away if it needed adjustment though. I don't know if those pins could be drifted out or not but don't intend to try. I don't imagine drilling them out is a real option, would still have to drill and tap the shuttle driver, etc. Come to think of it I don't think you could get that shaft out without removing the pins or cutting it???

I've read here before about controllable clutch motors, never observed one until this machine. The singer external clutch works quite well. Old Westinghouse motor is smooth and reasonably quiet. So that's a keeper. I may reposition it one day. You have to pull the belt to tip it back. Eventually I may remember that and get over it:) Old dog, new trick.

Bob sent me two flavors of needles and the 134-35 needles he has in S point worked well in the 78-3. I didn't know he had that size or that they are nearly identical to the 135-16 but I do now. I should have thought that one through myself, didn't. Not many have that needle type on the shelf in my experience. I imagine possibly a few suppliers up here do, short list no doubt. Short list in the entire country actually. It is as if he has a friend in shipping somewhere, his shipments are always (wasn't I just talking to him?) fast. Nothing else I order out of that part of the country arrives faster unless you next day it and it's shipped out as you order. Works for me.

On 6/2/2018 at 11:42 AM, Wizcrafts said:

This may end up being a needed solution, the shuttle driver on the 78-1 looks like it has been damaged.  It's all back together and in time (kind of) but the bottom rounded end of the driver has been either broken off or ground off, this leave too much free play for the hook and is causing the thread to break when trying to finish the loop.  I have not been able to find a replacement so for now this heavy beast is a pretty paperweight... :huh:

I just checked & found a supplier that has the carriers for the 78's,

2 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

I just checked & found a supplier that has the carriers for the 78's,

What part is the carrier? not the race right?  Is it too early to call you?

Oops,I meant shuttle driver.