3248tm

Need stich advice

I'm not sure that I want to try and use a over stich wheel again. Had some issues with the over stich putting down a good visible mark on a project the other day. It's probably my fault because I got things out of order to get the best results possible using a over stich wheel. Looking at getting a diamonid shape stitching iron. I'm working on gun holsters and want to know how many stiches per an inch you would recommend 

For most holsters you could probably go with 5 to 6 SPI.  I never use an overstitch wheel.  I find them unnecessary.  I suggest the Tandy Craftool diamond chisel as a good starter tool.  Make sure you use a Poundo Board or a similar to protect the chisel.  Keep the chisel straight and level to get the best result and to prevent bending tines.

These chisels work great and pair well with 1mm thread +/-.   Use the 2-prong to go around corners.  There are lots of sellers online that feature diamond chisels.  I haven't bought any but others have with varying degrees of success.

image.png

image.png

I make sheaths from 3 to 3,5 mm veg tan leather; I suppose these are a similar sort of item & leather used to holsters

I use the Craftool Pro Line chisel as shown; 2 prong, 4 mm spacing, and I'm happy enough with it. Don't hammer into your cutting mat, it's not intended for that sort of use. I use a plastic kitchen chopping board, about 10 mm thick. You will also need some kind of soft faced hammer - plastic, wood, or hide

You can improve the chisel by polishing the prongs. Make a small file or wand by glueing some wet & dry paper, about 400 to 600 grit to a sliver of wood like a lollipop stick, then finish off on a strop. It also helps if you rub the prongs in beeswax  as you use the chisel

Even with a chisel you might find that you have to do a bit of work with an awl

Resist the temptation to waggle the chisel about as you remove it, try to do a straight pull. You can hold down the leather with a small block of wood to do this