I need some help with some design ideas for this gun.  It is a modified Glock 19.  

20180416_173655.jpg

About all you can do for those things, . . . make a bucket it drops in.

What I mean is, . . . make a holster, . . . but do not form fit the thing, . . . don't mold it, . . . just wrap it around the basic weapon, . . . stitch in a toe piece for it to bottom out on, . . . and either put a suicide strap on it or a thumb break so he/she don't lose it.

I've had to make a couple of these, . . . that's the way I decided to do them.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight's right.  Those lights take so much of the retention out of the holster it's not funny.  There are guys that do a good job with them, but it takes a lot of trial and error.  And an optic, yikes.  If I were to even consider doing that I would start with an Avenger style pattern to make it easier to cut a space for the optic.  And I would strongly consider doubling my price.  So either they walk, or it's actually worth my time.  

The optic is a non issue. Look at how it lines up just a smidge behind the trigger guard, roughly in line with the magazine release.  The leather does not need to go higher than that.

For the light you can build up some leather or foam on the trigger guard to match the width of the light. Yes you will not be able to add any retention in the forward portion of the trigger guard but I see two other viable spots. One is the recesses on both sides of the frame for the slide release levers. The second is on the light itself where it necks down between the bulb and the body. I would just do it lightly on the sides and the bottom of the light. I would leave the gap between the odd non threaded extended barrel and the light alone. In other words I would not try to mold to the shape inbetween them but rather smooth the leather like ther was no gap there but instead like the slide continued to the end of the barrel.

More evidence that Simmons is a better marketer than he ever was a musician.  

AS for holsters, this CAN be done, but this is the type of situation where the owner should be deciding if it's a conversation piece to be put on a shelf, or should it be carried and used - in which case this is the type of thing making the case for kydex.

This is all good input thanks to all.  This won't be a daily carry.  It was his brother''s that past recently. Probably 99% of the time it will remain in the case.  More than anything it just needs to be black and hold the gun. 

Dwight, thanks for your input, I really like making it a bucket to put it in.  Probably with a thumb break.   I like the idea of a closed toe but have never done one. Are you talking about a plug in the bottom of the holster with a drain hole in it?   Do you just box stitch it in with 90 degree edges or 45?   If  you have any pictures of ones you have done that would be appreciated.

ChiefJason, I have been thinking about an avenger style or just a belt tunnel on the back as not to put too much pressure on the accessories.   On this one I don't think cost is much of a concern.

Bolt, I think I will build up a blue gun with some PVC or craft sticks to form it but not be too concerned with getting a lot of definition on this one.  Since it is a Glock I can probably just tape a block of wood to the front of the blue gun. 

Jeff, like I said not a daily carry so, I will not be using Kydex.  I will however use some of your pattern making instructions and yes Simmons is a better marketer than musician.  I had an acquaintance go on a KISS cruise this year with all his family.  I didn't even know there was such a thing.  Oh, well.  Have you ever made a pattern for something like this?

Thanks and keep the ideas coming!  

I ain't madeno nuthin' fer the TLR lights... my nose goes in the air pretty quick when I see those.  There was a kid round here did one looked good not so long ago... think the boy was in SD?  Glock with TLR.. looked well done. Searching...

Nope, turns out that was a different model with different light, so really no telling what I was thinking :o

But sweet pea apparently did something along that same line... pictures removed, and I'm not sure what he charges for information.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/39502-avenger-with-rail-mounted-light/?tab=comments#comment-245420

Edited by JLSleather

Last leather holster I did for a laser I just brought the stitch line in front of the laser, but did not close in the muzzle.  That give the gun/laser/light a shelf to rest on.  If it's just for occasional use then the extra length of the holster to add the shelf won't be a problem.  

1 hour ago, bland said:

Dwight, thanks for your input, I really like making it a bucket to put it in.  Probably with a thumb break.   I like the idea of a closed toe but have never done one. Are you talking about a plug in the bottom of the holster with a drain hole in it?   Do you just box stitch it in with 90 degree edges or 45?   If  you have any pictures of ones you have done that would be appreciated.

I usually make a plug out of 3 or 4 pieces of leather glued together like plywood.

I then sand the edges on a 45, but not out to a real fine feather edge, . . . 

I then hand sew it, . . . in and out all around it, . . . then the second pass, it is sewn in where I came out, . . . and comes out where I went in on the first pass.  That makes it look like saddle stitching, . . . but is a whole lot quicker for me (I hate hand sewing).

And, . . . no, . . . no hole in the bottom, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Something about Glocks and accessories.  It isn’t that hard.  I just brought the stitch line straight down, and formed it like usual.  As for that reflex sight, you’ll need to cut a groove, and, like mentioned above, you might want to add a thumb break  

kV2wXoy.jpg19V0dxn.jpg

Thanks to all!

Well, I finished this quite a long time ago but never got around posting what I came up with.  I was not real happy with the final product.  So, it is a bucket with a retention strap.  5b54b9a8c140e_KISSholster1.thumb.jpg.86253fa5f3d4b851c6523af7cb6f84f6.jpg

That looks good from here.

Main thing, . . . are you happy with it??  Does it do it's intended function??

Those two are the main two pieces of criteria, . . . whether it is a BBQ show piece is a whole 'nuther category.

May God bless,

Dwight