Sign in to follow this  
Rustic

Servo Motor

I currently use Family Sew FS-550 servo motors that I bought from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (now labeled FL-550). They are powerful and have a rotary switch that sets the top speed. This is really useful if you can't afford to make any stitch line mistakes by accidentally flooring the pedal. Both were specially retrofitted with very small pulleys that further reduce the top speed while multiplying the torque at all speeds. This is especially important if you dial down the max speed.

Previously, I used Sew Pro 500GR servo motors which were great. However, a few years ago, that Chinese company closed with no warning.

7 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I currently use Family Sew FS-550 servo motors that I bought from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (now labeled FL-550). They are powerful and have a rotary switch that sets the top speed. This is really useful if you can't afford to make any stitch line mistakes by accidentally flooring the pedal. Both were specially retrofitted with very small pulleys that further reduce the top speed while multiplying the torque at all speeds. This is especially important if you dial down the max speed.

Previously, I used Sew Pro 500GR servo motors which were great. However, a few years ago, that Chinese company closed with no warning.

Thank you, it seams most servo motors are much the same with the exception of the high dollar ones?

There are some significant differences between servo motors. The most commonly sold types in North America are spring loaded carbon brushes and brushless. The motors with brushes tend to have more torque at slower speeds than a similarly rated brushless motor that has the same pulley size. All that I have bought come with an extra pair of brushes. The brush servos I currently own all have speed controls via either a potentiometer or rotary multi-position switch. The brushless motor I have mounted under my Fortuna skiver has a two push button system for changing speed, direction and ramp up parameters (I hate this system!).

I just bought one of the FL-550 servos from Toledo and it’s great! I have sewn on home machines but leather machines are totally new for me so I have a learning curve. I haven’t made a finished product yet. (Just got set up over the weekend.) But I have been practicing and it is working smooth as a top.