A friend asked me to make a bag for her to replace her aging fake-leather bag, so I sketched out some designs and made this prototype using some nice chrome-tanned leather. Took about a week or so to make, spending a few hours on it each day. I've previously only made small items like wallets and passport covers, so this is my largest and most complex item so far. The bag measures approx 9in x 9in. There are a few design changes I plan to make before making her version of the bag - like perhaps making the bag another inch or two wider, changing the placement of the key holder, lowering the drop pocket a little more, making the strap adjustable, and adding a zipper to shut it.

Overall though, I'm pretty happy with how this one looks, and plan to use it myself for the time being.

750px-9654.jpg

750px-9658.jpg

750px-9671.jpg

750px-9676.jpg

Edited by CanuckAmuck

Thats a great looking bag. i like the way you have the two zipper pockets back to back and only one stitch line.

Have you thought of using a gusset? Maybe that would change the design too much?

Great job!

5 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Thats a great looking bag. i like the way you have the two zipper pockets back to back and only one stitch line.

Have you thought of using a gusset? Maybe that would change the design too much?

Great job!

Thanks! I originally had a gusset for the zipper pockets in the design, but wasn't a fan of how they looked when I made a craft paper mockup. Even without the extra space a gusset affords, the pockets seem spacious enough though, so I'm happy with how it is now. Thanks for noticing the stitch lines! I'm pleased I could make the design without too many visible stitch lines. I also hid the stitch lines for the gusseted pockets on the front with the drop pocket on the inside, so unless you flip the drop pocket out you can't see them either.

Quality craftsmanship, CanuckAmuck. I like the design...lots of open and closed pocket storage area for the user to pick from...with the key fob right at the top where it should be, where a person can reach them without having to dig around in their stuff (although, granted, there are other locations to put this feature). I agree with you on a few points: strap adjustability would be handy...perhaps going a touch larger in bag size would be nice (the outdoor pics don't really hint at that, do they?).  Overall, very nice!

Just curious, where would you put the key holder? 

Jeff

53 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Just curious, where would you put the key holder? 

Jeff

Currently, if you're wearing the bag on your right side (as I and my friend do), the key holder is located back and to the right. This makes it a bit awkward to reach and grab one-handed. If I move the key holder to the diagonal-opposite corner (to the right of the inside zippered pocket), it would be in a much more convenient spot to reach without having to twist your arm.

1 hour ago, Double Daddy said:

Quality craftsmanship, CanuckAmuck. I like the design...lots of open and closed pocket storage area for the user to pick from...with the key fob right at the top where it should be, where a person can reach them without having to dig around in their stuff (although, granted, there are other locations to put this feature). I agree with you on a few points: strap adjustability would be handy...perhaps going a touch larger in bag size would be nice (the outdoor pics don't really hint at that, do they?).  Overall, very nice!

Thank you! I might cut this strap off and install an adjustable one in the future. I just wanted something for now to see how the bag looked more-or-less complete. I agree that the bag could be larger in size. My friend wanted something approximately the same size as her current bag (which she said was about 9x9in), so I designed it for those dimensions. I'd probably increase it to be a couple inches wider though, perhaps 11in x 9in.

Nice job on your first big project!  You have a bunch of essential skills in the construction including zippered pockets, turned edge, etc., and you executed them nicely.  

10 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Nice job on your first big project!  You have a bunch of essential skills in the construction including zippered pockets, turned edge, etc., and you executed them nicely.  

Thank you! It was actually my first time doing a lot of what went into the bag. I'd never worked with zippers before, nor turned an edge. I haven't skived leather before either, and you can tell I need some work on that. Accidentally skived a few bits right off. Good thing this was just a prototype!

Well, you did good.  BTW, you might want to put zipper stops on next time.  They go just before the leather at the end where the zipper starts to bind.  This will keep the zipper from going too far and messing with the leather.  There is another thread on here where the process is described. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Tugadude

6 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Well, you did good.  BTW, you might want to put zipper stops on next time.  They go just before the leather at the end where the zipper starts to bind.  This will keep the zipper from going too far and messing with the leather.  There is another thread on here where the process is described. 

image.jpeg

I'll look into that, thank you!

I've been enjoying this website for a while now, but I made an account today just so I could say "Nice job!". I really like this bag. Well done.

2 minutes ago, BDub77 said:

I've been enjoying this website for a while now, but I made an account today just so I could say "Nice job!". I really like this bag. Well done.

Wow, thank you! Welcome to the community! Hope to see some of your posts around.