So im going to a local design market and therefore have been a busy little bee... made this tote from a veg shoulder and stitched it up with “fil au chinois” off white thread.... it also have a small pocket on the inside for all the nic nac ... I’m happy with it    What do you think?  

A2E932EE-0823-49F6-A23C-3548754A4E36.thumb.png.23fa636a516ac0b1beab774c65fd8f5a.png

Looks good and sturdy.

I like it! I've got a couple tote designs "on the drawing board" myself...debating whether to simply copper rivet the handles in-place or combine that method with sewing as you've done here. Your bag looks great...the choice of materials should age beautifully over time as well.

I am curious about the bottom of your bag. Did you simply leave it the thickness of your leather or did you place a "hard" material inside the bag for a flat bottom?

Noticed you stitched the bottom ends from the outside, hand stitched? I have an idea manufacturers of great numbers of these have a "Post Bed" machine to sew the bottom from the inside of the bag.

I would be interested in any and all ideas as to how folks are handling the bottoms of these.

BTW: Take a look at some of "Moore & Giles" Tote Bags.

Ferg

Edited by Ferg

2 hours ago, Ferg said:

I am curious about the bottom of your bag. Did you simply leave it the thickness of your leather or did you place a "hard" material inside the bag for a flat bottom?

Noticed you stitched the bottom ends from the outside, hand stitched? I have an idea manufacturers of great numbers of these have a "Post Bed" machine to sew the bottom from the inside of the bag.

I would be interested in any and all ideas as to how folks are handling the bottoms of these.

BTW: Take a look at some of "Moore & Giles" Tote Bags.

Ferg

Hello Ferg 

I hand stitch everything I make, can’t afford anything els :) I have done both this outer stitching and inner... I think it looks more “polished” when the stitch is inside... and with this one I was going for a rougher old school style... I guess it’s just up to the maker :) 

the leather is one piece + the inside pocket 

I have added a picture which have both an inside and outside stitch .. both made with hand stitch and an awl :) 

2B92F34B-8816-4ECF-BDCE-DAE1FCE898F6.jpeg

5 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Looks good and sturdy.

Thanks mutt :) 

4 hours ago, Double Daddy said:

I like it! I've got a couple tote designs "on the drawing board" myself...debating whether to simply copper rivet the handles in-place or combine that method with sewing as you've done here. Your bag looks great...the choice of materials should age beautifully over time as well.

I hope it will, I like the stitch and rivets... you just never know how much beating it will be put through :) 

Thank you,

I always done either lacing or hand stitching until my fingers and hands met Mr. "Arthritis". That will make you begin to save pennies for the first machine, then another, then another.... You get the idea. Lol

Ferg

43 minutes ago, Ferg said:

Thank you,

I always done either lacing or hand stitching until my fingers and hands met Mr. "Arthritis". That will make you begin to save pennies for the first machine, then another, then another.... You get the idea. Lol

Ferg

I guess you will be right and time just fly by.. :) 

1 hour ago, jasonphx said:

What does the one piece of leather look like before you start sewing together? Ie. what is the pattern of the main bag?

If you imagine a long rectangle with 2 square notches in the middle it will give you an idea.KIMG0643-1170x2080.JPG

This is the best pic I have of this stage.

You can see one of the notches in the top right corner.

Leodis Leather has a tote video that can show you better.

6 hours ago, jasonphx said:

What does the one piece of leather look like before you start sewing together? Ie. what is the pattern of the main bag?

There is a ok tutorial by HollyMann here : http://www.instructables.com/id/Leather-Tote-DIY/.Not the same measurement but you get the main structure. I added his pattern, it’s free so I don’t think it’s a problem :) 

A2D12BF6-4686-44B2-AC6C-97F17D797D16.jpeg

4 hours ago, ByNelson said:

There is a ok tutorial by HollyMann here : http://www.instructables.com/id/Leather-Tote-DIY/.Not the same measurement but you get the main structure. I added his pattern, it’s free so I don’t think it’s a problem :) 

A2D12BF6-4686-44B2-AC6C-97F17D797D16.jpeg

This is a really good template from which a person could easily stretch/expand any of the dimensions as desired to suit their particular needs...thanks for posting!

6 hours ago, Double Daddy said:

This is a really good template from which a person could easily stretch/expand any of the dimensions as desired to suit their particular needs...thanks for posting!

Your welcome, I take no credit it’s not my templet, but it gives a nice overall look off the way it is built. :)