Indulging my recently acquired obsession with computer generated templates I scanned the single impression of a camouflage tool in high resolution and filled a page with copies of the scan which I arranged in a scale pattern. I transferred this pattern to leather marking the points where the impressions have to connect with an awl.

There is room for improvement, I know, but the scale template has stood the test.

I’ve not yet decided how to proceed: Lacing or sewing? Attaching the straps on the backside with Chicago screws going through both thicknesses? Or feeding short straps that hold D-rings in between the thicknesses?

Ain’t it nice and therapeutic to busy oneself with problems of this kind while plain folly rules the world?

Comments welcome.

P1060133.JPG

P1060134.JPG

Really nice work. I like the idea of Chicago screws for non-competing contrast, and maybe stitching instead of leaving for the same reason. That way the focus stays on the tooling.

and yes, pondering these types of things, or steps in my project, are how I survive long meetings :whistle:

Awesome.  What program are you using to lay out your patterns?  They are coming out flawless.

YinTx

Thank you for your kind comments, Gentlemen!

6 hours ago, motocouture said:

Really nice work. I like the idea of Chicago screws for non-competing contrast, and maybe stitching instead of leaving for the same reason. That way the focus stays on the tooling.

and yes, pondering these types of things, or steps in my project, are how I survive long meetings :whistle:

So stitching and Chicago screws it is!

While sleep was deserting me I had ample opportunity to ponder all possibilities and was awarded an epiphany: “Put the ends of the two straps that you plan to attach on the right, between front and back and fasten them with Chicago screws” – said a reverberating voice – “and start the stitching only some centimeters below the lower screw, in order to give the straps room for movement (and spare thyself some stitching)!” I’ve seen a similarly constructed Turkish quiver in the Imperial Armory here in Vienna.

7 hours ago, YinTx said:

Awesome.  What program are you using to lay out your patterns?  They are coming out flawless.

YinTx

I’m using an old version of the Corel suite. With Corel PHOTO-PAINT I reduce the opacity of the scan of a single tool impression. I import the (now transparent) picture into a blank page of CorelDraw and double it. I now align both pictures. The high resolution allows precise maneuvering in the range of single pixels. Then I double the pair and keep doubling the outcome of each step until the first line is filled. Next I put a copy of the first line below and move it to the side by half the length of an imprint. Then I double the first pair of lines and keep doubling until the page is filled.

I’ve made similar templates for my basket weave stamps and found them very useful for planning.

The explanation of how you created the pattern was over my head however the pattern itself and the leather work is very good.  

Thank you, RegisD!

Basically I just hammered a single tool impression into a small piece of moist leather and put it on the scanner. Then I filled a page with copies of the scan.

Making the little pictures transparent helps the precise arrangement of the pattern.

Creating a pattern page isn’t as tedious as it might seem because you can double the outcome of each step.