WastelandOuterwear

Invisible stitch from both sides of leather

The top grain will be stronger if I was making a pair of stirrup leathers I would not do a blind stitch. A bag will be fine unless you plan on carrying heavy weights in it 

I could show you pictures of a 50 year old saddle where the stitches are intact ant the leather on the seat has worn through.  This is a different piece of leather from the one with the stitch.

Edited by gmace99

RockAussie that is a very cool approach.

Well I broke it. As the pics show I did a couple of more stitches to give me 3" to work with and threw in some holes and proceeded to carry out this highly scientific testing procedure.:coffeecomp: The scales used here are 200 kilo /440lbs. As can be seen the holes in the centre and the pulling pressure applied kept the forces localised over mostly 4 or 5 stitches. It all came apart at close to 40 kilo or 90 pounds if you like. By my reckoning that means close to 1/2 my body weight should be all right over 3" of stitching and therefore you could put 3 of me in that bag no probs except I wouldn't fit to good. :grouphug5vj5:

13 hours ago, plinkercases said:

RockAussie that is a very cool approach.

:specool: Thank you

DSC02225_resize.JPG

DSC02227_resize.JPG

DSC02229_resize.JPG

DSC02233_resize.JPG

Hope that is of some help if not a bit of a chuckle.:P

Very well done!

i think it’s great you took the time to help another LW with a problem. And made it interesting for the rest of us. Thanks.

Thanks, I have never seen that befor , but aren't you worry that the roof my come down,.     Cool shop 

Yea i really appreciate it guys, i have since sewed the bag the acual historical way, however i still think this "hidden stitch" could be useful for future things. 

On 26/04/2018 at 10:54 PM, KingsCountyLeather said:

Very well done!

i think it’s great you took the time to help another LW with a problem. And made it interesting for the rest of us. Thanks.

Thank you, and my pleasure! Least I can do given what everyone shares in this forum. This is an answer given by another member @motocouture to a similar situation and I thought most apt here as well.

Ok, I looked into this a little further and found some information about the Breac Moedoic budget (Satchel) written by John William Waterer. As I stated earlier in this post, the drawing he used showed stitching visible on the inside and a bit more reading confirmed this and showed up some other useful points as well. The first drawing below shows the same as earlier shown in this post.

I tried out the method depicted and found that it made stitching from the outside quite easy and quite easy to pull up into place when finished. Once the top is reached with the pulling together it is pretty simple to do a backstitch around inside the top.

Some of the measurements given I have used such as hole spacing at 5mm (3/16”) apart and near to ¼” (6mm) in. The thickness of leather was about 1/8” (3mm) but in this case I used 2mm thick.

As the author stated – “Such a seam is normally made with the article turned inside out, but the substance and stiffness of the leather employed on these budgets would have effectually precluded turning it right way out after sewing and the seams must have been stitched from the inside”.

In a way this is right but is actually stitched from the outside. Toooo tight to fit in there.

Another part written by the author in regards to the drawing below –“CC represent the two margins, skived to a bevel and bent round, face to face, so that seam is inside.”

Here firstly is the picture showing the technique as drawn by John Waterer- and next is my copy of the technique.

Stitching detail of Breac Moedoic Budget.jpga.JPG

Here shows the needle comes across and down in 

a3.JPG

From the outside on same side up and out

a4.JPG

Then across and back in and up and out etc

a5.JPG

This shows the back view before pulling togethera6.JPG

Now pulled tight

a7.JPG

Inside view from side

a8.JPG

Inside view from top which if tapped down would help hide the stitches somewhat.

a9.JPG

And lastly the top view which shows no white thread.

a92.JPG

Keeping in mind that this would be done on veg (oak) tanned leather and dampened as well it would be quite easy to hide the stitching well with a little tapping /rubbing. Note: if I were doing this method I would pull it up tight every few inches and do a looping back to keep the thread tight.

On 27/04/2018 at 8:45 AM, Joseph1836 said:

Thanks, I have never seen that befor , but aren't you worry that the roof my come down,.     Cool shop 

As I stitched this in about 6mm from edge I will not be doing a pull apart test as I am sure that it will take my entire weight, be that I hope the roof would survive anyway.:rolleyes2:

I hope that this is going to be of use to anyone that wants a good and easy technique for stitching up a project with little room inside to work with.:grouphug5vj5:

Brian

16 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Thank you, and my pleasure! Least I can do given what everyone shares in this forum. This is an answer given by another member @motocouture to a similar situation and I thought most apt here as well.

Ok, I looked into this a little further and found some information about the Breac Moedoic budget (Satchel) written by John William Waterer. As I stated earlier in this post, the drawing he used showed stitching visible on the inside and a bit more reading confirmed this and showed up some other useful points as well. The first drawing below shows the same as earlier shown in this post.

I tried out the method depicted and found that it made stitching from the outside quite easy and quite easy to pull up into place when finished. Once the top is reached with the pulling together it is pretty simple to do a backstitch around inside the top.

Some of the measurements given I have used such as hole spacing at 5mm (3/16”) apart and near to ¼” (6mm) in. The thickness of leather was about 1/8” (3mm) but in this case I used 2mm thick.

As the author stated – “Such a seam is normally made with the article turned inside out, but the substance and stiffness of the leather employed on these budgets would have effectually precluded turning it right way out after sewing and the seams must have been stitched from the inside”.

In a way this is right but is actually stitched from the outside. Toooo tight to fit in there.

Another part written by the author in regards to the drawing below –“CC represent the two margins, skived to a bevel and bent round, face to face, so that seam is inside.”

Here firstly is the picture showing the technique as drawn by John Waterer- and next is my copy of the technique.

Stitching detail of Breac Moedoic Budget.jpga.JPG

Here shows the needle comes across and down in 

a3.JPG

From the outside on same side up and out

a4.JPG

Then across and back in and up and out etc

a5.JPG

This shows the back view before pulling togethera6.JPG

Now pulled tight

a7.JPG

Inside view from side

a8.JPG

Inside view from top which if tapped down would help hide the stitches somewhat.

a9.JPG

And lastly the top view which shows no white thread.

a92.JPG

Keeping in mind that this would be done on veg (oak) tanned leather and dampened as well it would be quite easy to hide the stitching well with a little tapping /rubbing. Note: if I were doing this method I would pull it up tight every few inches and do a looping back to keep the thread tight.

As I stitched this in about 6mm from edge I will not be doing a pull apart test as I am sure that it will take my entire weight, be that I hope the roof would survive anyway.:rolleyes2:

I hope that this is going to be of use to anyone that wants a good and easy technique for stitching up a project with little room inside to work with.:grouphug5vj5:

Brian

Okay wow thank you ive been trying to explain it for months now and i can never say it right. Im currently compiling my reasearch, techniques, and measurements used to make this budget, and i would really like to utilize the photos you have taken this is just absolutly perfect.

Edited by WastelandOuterwear

4 hours ago, WastelandOuterwear said:

Okay wow thank you ive been trying to explain it for months now and i can never say it right. Im currently compiling my reasearch, techniques, and measurements used to make this budget, and i would really like to utilize the photos you have taken this is just absolutly perfect.

Your welcome. I would like to see some pics of your finished bag when you can. 

3 hours ago, Dun said:

I think I have seen this before, just not applied to leather. Is it this stitch?

tumblr_p3zttmKE4A1vnq1cro1_250.gif

Yes that's it. Oh.... if only it were that easy in leather.:rolleyes2:

On 4/28/2018 at 8:07 PM, RockyAussie said:

Your welcome. I would like to see some pics of your finished bag when you can. 

Yes that's it. Oh.... if only it were that easy in leather.:rolleyes2:

Here it is, ive only been doing this stuff for a few years, and ive only recently have found a mentor. So im still very much a novice =), and the more im learning the more i realize i dont actually know anything haha.