JHayek

splitter parts

I have an american 6 inch crank slitter that has a broken handle.  Can anyone recommend a source for replacement parts for this machine? 

Thanks

I hope someone will prove me wrong, but I don't think parts have been available for a long time.  If the shaft is the same size, you may be able to get a handle for a Landis model 30... they are very simular (and use the same blade).

Which “handle” are you referring to? 

The crank handle on my American was definitely replaced with a home made one.  Just looks like a flat stock of steel with a bolt welded onto one end (to fit on the body) with a set screw and a leather wrapped handle on the other end. 

Many machine shop could make one.  

If you’re taking about the adjustment handle then that’s going to be a tough one. 

I need the adjustment handle. I have considered a machine shop but was hoping to avoid the hassle and expense. I am aware new parts may be non existent but was hoping to locate someone who deals in this equipment that may have old parts or even a handle for a pattern 

That piece looks like cast iron. If you don’t have the pieces to braze together then I figure the best/easiest way to recreate this piece would be through a lost wax process.   

Using the piece that you have, you can build upon it with clay or similar, cast in 2 part RTV, make a wax positive,  encase in fine sand and pour molten steel or brass. Refine shape with Dremel or files. 

Definitely a project. 

Edited by Webicons

I too assumed that it was the crank handle.... the Landis 30 is not the same there.  I have the American model LS440 (the model number is on the lower backside of the body).  If you like, I can take some pictures and a tracing of the adjusting handle.  If you get it machined out of aluminum, the cost shouldn't be overly expensive.  These machines seem to sell for $600 - $1000, so it is likely worth fixing.

Sorry for the delayed response...pictures wit measurements would be very helpful and much appreciated. Please don't go to any trouble or disassemble your splitter though. 

Did you ever get the info you were asking for? I need a handle as well.

Buy a file handle and drill a hole through it length wise, Bolton.

A few years ago i did a repair on a similar machine . I used a handle from an old meat grinder ( meat mincer) . I had to drill it to size and drill and tap a grub screw to lock it to the shaft. Over all it was quite easy . If i see an old meat grinder at a yard sale going for next to nothing i buy it just so i have a few handles as spare parts . Note , most meat grinders have a square hole in the handle so take a measurement of your shaft and make sure the round hole you have to drill is compatible. Also take a measurement of the overall length of the original handle  and find one that is close .