Pirate305

Gator Journal cover

Well, I finished this piece, and it's the first I'm going to sell. A simple journal cover is done with 3/4oz embossed veg tan and lined with printed lightweight canvas. The hard part was getting the dye the right way. Tried to get it to look like a real alligator belly with the lighter in the middle. IMG_7393.jpg.d6ad4f76d452c2483123a9fd1d3a8f35.jpgIMG_7395.thumb.jpg.4e105e05f42168fe691b28e3add29421.jpgIMG_7396.thumb.jpg.fd724aa2d222b1921acefd645b4d793a.jpgIMG_7397.thumb.jpg.7457128a39e67167a60e2c02506f95a2.jpg

IMG_7391.jpg

It looks good.

Very nice cover!

I like the idea of lining leather with canvas.

Only I would have worried that the contact cement leaks through the fabric. But obviously this isn't the case!

I like it and you should be proud!

Sam:)

13 hours ago, LederRudi said:

Very nice cover!

Only I would have worried that the contact cement leaks through the fabric. But obviously this isn't the case!

13 hours ago, LederRudi said:

Very nice cover!

Contact cement will bleed thru. I tried every type of glue and spray adhesive there is before I found what works. The heavy duty iron on bond works best. If an edge comes loose you just re heat with an iron and it’s stuck. 

10 hours ago, Pirate305 said:

Contact cement will bleed thru. I tried every type of glue and spray adhesive there is before I found what works. The heavy duty iron on bond works best. If an edge comes loose you just re heat with an iron and it’s stuck. 

Thank you for the info, Pirate305!

Looks good, where did you get the canvas at?

2 hours ago, Fire88 said:

Looks good, where did you get the canvas at?

I shop around online, like jo Ann fabrics, fabrics.com and others. If I see a pattern I like I buy a few yards and try it out. It doesn’t have to be canvas.