ogtwister09

Boss sewing machine

Im looking at getting a boss sewing machine dose any body have use one and what is your in put about them ?

Quite fancy a Boss or Purdy shotguns and rate them highly, sorry no nought about sewing machine

I have a very old one that I bought used, serial number 130.  You will love it or hate it.  When it works it is great and much faster than sewing by hand.  I have spent countless hours getting mine tuned in, I think part of the problem is I knew so little about leather sewing machines I didn't ask the previous owner what size thread he was using and now I realize it was probably a size smaller than what I bought.  All that said now that it is tuned in it has been sewing very consistently.  I was even able to sew a cartridge holder without missing a stitch.

Todd

Many years ago I had one- it is certainly quicker than hand stitching. Mine was very problematic- I had a heck of a time getting it "tuned" just right so it wouldn't miss stitches. Then if you changed thread thickness you had to start all over again. Plus I found with some projects- you need 3 hands to operate the thing- one to pull down on the handle and 2 to control your work.

I finally got so frustrated with the thing I sold it and took the funds to purchase a cobra machine- which I found it amazingly easy to learn to use- stitches are better and I cant remember the last time I dropped one.

IMO- I would save a little more $$ and move up to a cobra or one of the other similar machines, which work equally as good. There are many out there used these days - it will be worth the investment, learning curve will be reduced by about 90%, you will be less frustrated than with an expensive piece of equipment (boss) that only works so so

good luck with your decision 

I have one and it works very well for thicker leather. I've made a lot of belts, knife cases, holsters, etc with it. I use mine mostly with #138 or larger thread and it works fine. If you are looking to use smaller thread, it probably isn't the right machine.  I can also sew through thin Kydex for hybrid type holsters.

As far as getting it tuned, I haven't had much trouble. You need to make sure you're using the right size needle for the thread and type of needle for the material you're using. If you use small thread with a big needle, you will miss stitches, the thread will ride back up with the needle and not make a loop on the way up so that it gets hooked by the shuttle. You also have to make sure the needle is in straight and positioned so that the shuttle will pick up the thread in the scarf. You also need to make sure you have the tension adjusted right on the shuttle, then adjust the top thread so your stitch loops in the middle of your material, you want a lot of tension on both to make nice tight stitches.

It's not a fast machine by any means, but it works well if you treat it right and it's way faster than hand stitching. It's probably a better machine for someone who isn't comfortable with sewing machines in general. The Boss will put 1 stitch at a time exactly where you want it, like in a stitching groove. I've put thousands of stitches in with mine and haven't had to do anything other than the recommended lubrication and occasionally replace a needle.

Also, the cowboy outlaw is just about to hit the American market. Just FYI.

Everyone I've ever known that purchased one echoed the statements above about having to constantly adjust them. When I was machine hunting I checked out my friends Boss and decided to get a cobra. One week after I got my cobra my friend put his Boss up for sale and bought a cobra.

Your mileage may vary