Wizcrafts

New forum for 3D printers, engravers and laser cutters

Johanna and I have created this new category under Fabrication for people to discuss computer driven 3D printers, engravers, mills and laser cutters. You can also share information about software, drawing tablets, file formats, apps and shared CAD file resources.

I have moved some existing topics into this forum to get it going.

If you are not yet a member of Leatherworker.net and want to join the discussions, please sign up to become a member! It's free to join. If you do, please fill in the details field for your location.

At this time, this is not a place for selling equipment. Please post any equipment for sale somewhere under the Marketplace section of LWN. Thank you in advance.

Enjoy!

I have been toying with the idea of getting a 3D printer for a few years. I had some stamps made by a local geek that said "Sedona" which I used to crank out some tourista stuff for a shop in Sedona. The "resolution" was ok but I would like to print more intracate designs for stamps. Do you think that's easily doable on a home system?

I attend a couple of wide format printing shows annually and they are starting to show industrial grade 3D printers made by some of the leading digital printer manufacturers and they are impressive. 

What's your opinion Wiz??

Bob

Bob;

We have a friend who owns a small 3D printer. He burned some leather stamps (H.D.) for us in different types of plastic stock. The first one was not deep enough and was too soft. The shallow letters bent after two tries in moistened leather. The next stamp had much deeper letters (~1/8") and was made with a tougher plastic stock. This stamp has promise. I still hope to see if he can print with Delrin or something similar. Delrin stamps that we had made by a machine shop hold up really well.

The bottom line is use cheaper plastic strands to get in the ballpark, then print the final product with the toughest plastic that is practical for your printer's heat/efficiency ratings. Any printed letter or figure stamping dies may need to be about 1/8 inch deep

The stamps I had #D Printed were from ABS and were fine, just that the surface was not absolutely smooth and left a texture. One was 6" and the other 3". Very good point about the fine detail. Might be either a waste of $$ and time or a long slippery slope like my first belt that turned into a leather business. (Billed $2k this week). 

BTW I have picked up the bass and just purchased a U-bass and an electric upright...fun!!

Bob

Making stamps is an interesting thought. There are different types of filament available including one with carbon fibre in it, which should be pretty tough. I made an inertial bullet puller using the "standard" PLA filament and am surprised at how much abuse the PLA can take, although for a stamp it probably won't be smooth enough (although the surface can be sanded a bit).

I really need to learn how to design things....

As awesome as 3D printing is, I'd personally favor a milling machine for something like stamps.  You have a lot more material options for durability.

The stamps made from ABS are very durable but simple text with no fine detail. I found sanding didn't help. I suppose one could use a filler or maybe heat but not on a fine design.

2 hours ago, BDAZ said:

The stamps made from ABS are very durable but simple text with no fine detail. I found sanding didn't help. I suppose one could use a filler or maybe heat but not on a fine design.

I have not tried it but I would think if you took the bed temp up high and place the print down on it for a while being weighted down it may be possible to smooth out the lines. It would have to cool off in place of course.

I didn't print the stamps..it was done by a 15 year old geek..

2 minutes ago, BDAZ said:

I didn't print the stamps..it was done by a 15 year old geek..

OK , I will try and give it a go sometime over the next few days and get back with the results. I could try it on the stove but I don't think I'm allowed in that room.:P

I recently acquired a basic laser engraver, A5 NEJE 500mw type  just to see if I and the machine are user friendly and potential to possibly upgrade to an A3 size.

IIRC I did previously mention on another thread trying to purchase a premium digital image catalogue which is compatible with my equipment.

Edited by Orangeleather

54 minutes ago, Orangeleather said:

I recently acquired a basic laser engraver, A5 NEJE 500mw type  just to see if I and the machine are user friendly and potential to possibly upgrade to an A3 size.

IIRC I did previously mention on another thread trying to purchase a premium digital image catalogue which is compatible with my equipment.

I moved that thread to this new section of the forum. Did you not see it listed under the new category?

13 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I moved that thread to this new section of the forum. Did you not see it listed under the new category?

@Wizcrafts

To be honest no, which is strange as the section is small and in it' infancy.

Thanks for making a specific section though, appreciated.

9 hours ago, Orangeleather said:

@Wizcrafts

To be honest no, which is strange as the section is small and in it' infancy.

Thanks for making a specific section though, appreciated.

You are welcome!

The degree of resolution you can get on a home 3D printer depends on the nozzle size you use, the smaller the nozzle the better the resolution.  My nozzle selection goes from .2mm up to 1.2mm.  You probably can't get down the the kind of resolution you can get with either milling or laser engraving but on the positive side you can do it at home pretty cheaply and you can experiment around with a lot of designs before you decide to spend the money for one done in metal.  As far as durability goes, even with PLA you can get quite a number of stampings before you need to print a new stamp.  I use CAD and the 3D printer for everything I do in leather; it makes molds, patterns and templates for every project I do.  

3 hours ago, sbrownn said:

The degree of resolution you can get on a home 3D printer depends on the nozzle size you use, the smaller the nozzle the better the resolution.  My nozzle selection goes from .2mm up to 1.2mm.  You probably can't get down the the kind of resolution you can get with either milling or laser engraving but on the positive side you can do it at home pretty cheaply and you can experiment around with a lot of designs before you decide to spend the money for one done in metal.  As far as durability goes, even with PLA you can get quite a number of stampings before you need to print a new stamp.  I use CAD and the 3D printer for everything I do in leather; it makes molds, patterns and templates for every project I do.  

Oh so true. I wish I had this technology around 20 + years ago. So many products in production I make every day would be made differently and quicker with the aid of the 3d printer and laser I now use. Barely a day goes by that another new thing is being designed and printed. 

On 4/26/2018 at 3:09 AM, dikman said:

Making stamps is an interesting thought. There are different types of filament available including one with carbon fibre in it, which should be pretty tough. I made an inertial bullet puller using the "standard" PLA filament and am surprised at how much abuse the PLA can take, although for a stamp it probably won't be smooth enough (although the surface can be sanded a bit).

I really need to learn how to design things....

Here is a photo of a stamp that I just made and the impression it made.  Nothing was done to the stamp after coming off the printer.  It was pressed into a piece of leather that had the top surface moistened and this is how it came out of the press.  I like how the pressure darkens the leather in the pattern areas.  The raised parts of the stamp are 0.035" high and 0.025" high.  The base of the stamp is 0.15" thick.

IMG_1321.png

This particular sticky topic was supposed to just be an announcement about the reason for creation of the sub-forum for laser and 3d printers. If you guys want to discuss technical details and methods please start a new topic to keep the discussion more focused.