EvanBrent

Aftermarket Parts for Cowboy/Cobra 441 clones

Hello everyone, 

Pretty much a newbie question. Having read up on the various machines that are copies of the Juki , I have come to the conclusion that in many ways they are just as good as the Juki, in some ways, but “not quite there” in terms of overall finish and handling. If I understand the whole “clone thing” the original parts of the Juki are interchangeable with those same parts on the clones. My question then is this,  would there be any merrit whatsoever in buying original Juki parts and putting them into say a Cowboy or Cobra to improve the performance of the machine in question, and if so, what parts would you upgrade to original parts?

I am working in the assumption that the better parts made in Japan may enhance the Chinese made machines, of course, my question may be naive, so if you think that the Cobra or Cowboy could not be tweaked in order to get a more reliable performance please feel free to chime in. 

Thanks

My Chinese clone is still assembled with some Japanese parts. Nonetheless, Atlas Levy in Los Angeles, CA sells affordable parts for every type of sewing machine out there.

Edited by howlback

I honestly and respectfully agree in your assesment : If I understand the whole “clone thing”.

It seems to me also in the first visuals, many machines are so similar in that their parts could interchange. Some even could make one better in a way possibly. I can easily say these newer machines that have been called clones, Some have persons that have had and did a lot of inspecting with regards to performances. In particular these big dog 441 clones, and I am a proud owner of one clone."

Let me give an example I very early on found regards to Juki and “ not Juki presser feet “.  If any have a few on hand, for comparison. Just check the mounting height of these parts, especially if a no adjustment was wanted, or allowed! Again this was early in my trying to learn anything and all I could absorb with a few new found machine interest.

The factory presser feet could be interchanged on any of the same machines I had that had factory adjustment settings. Well they were the same mounted height, I will spare ya the accuracy of the bottom to surfaces contact. The aftermarket presser feet of all kinds like standard, zippers, cording all sizes ( omg ) some/ strike that. None of the aftermarket presser feet had a similar mounted height. Some will find this not important, yet why is there a standard. Above all why is one brands standard dimension even copied let alone mentioned. ( i.e. singer 111 presser feet ) 

I have found many parts can work together fine and I do regularly make these purchases like bobbins yet there are subtle differences. Like how they may wobble or just a loose fit, yet they work somewhat. Finally we all have our tolerances to deal with regards to happiness and budgets at any present time in our life. We just as myself keep finding these attributes no matter how old we are that can help us build a better base.

Good day

Floyd

Hi Floyd, thanks for you input, I appreciate your insight!

There is a long history of people customizing their machines, as well as their guns.

If you buy a clone from a good dealer, odds are that some of the critical parts have already been upgraded.  I had a pleasant surprise when I took the hook out of one of my clone machines and discovered that it was a really nice Japanese hook.  Buying from one of the dealers in this forum will already put you ahead of the game since the machine will be set up for leather and have great customer support - if you're looking for a machine, I'd start there, rather than trying to improve a slightly cheaper knockoff from an unknown seller.

I'd venture to say that how a machine is adjusted has a bigger impact on the user experience, smoothness of operation, stitch quality and reliability than any one particular clone vs OEM part. A well adjusted clone is likely to perform better than a poorly adjusted original Juki.

I highly doubt than anybody can really tell simply by sewing with a well-adjusted machine whether it has an original Juki hook or an aftermarket hook installed. 

Of course no amount of adjustment will overcome a cracked casting, a rough bearing, bent shaft, or an off-center hole.

Staying with the big clone brands like Hightex/Cowboy, Typical, Keestar etc. will give you a good starting point.

U.S. based dealers and their respective brands get a lot of attention here on LW, but there may also be good local dealer choices in South Africa that avoid a lot of shipping expenses and time zone headaches. Having access to a good local mechanic is priceless. 

Instead of "upgrading" perfectly good parts with OEM versions, I think you're better off investing your money in accessories like edge guides, presser feet, and throat plates that suit your work and improve your user experience.

Edited by Uwe