ABHandmade

Matt finish

Is there a finish (such as Resolene) that gives a matte surface?
Or, in other words, how to get a waterproof matte surface?
I would be grateful for any information on this matter.

Your ticket for matte finish is either matte brushing lacquer for wood work, or the spray finishes from 3M or other brands.  You can find all of them at hardware or woodworking stores.

8 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Your ticket for matte finish is either matte brushing lacquer for wood work, or the spray finishes from 3M or other brands.  You can find all of them at hardware or woodworking stores.

Mike, many thanks for the help. I understand, it is necessary to take a polyurethane lacquer.

Yes, thats the stuff.  Here, its called brushing lacquer.  The sprays are probably acrylic but I'm not 100% certain of that.

The sprays are acrylic. I have used  Varathane Diamond Wood Finish with great success. It is available from Home Depot or similar and in a satin or gloss finish.

Make sure you get the outdoor version. It has UV protection so won't yellow over time.

Makes a great resist too for antiquing.

3 hours ago, Instinctive said:

The sprays are acrylic. I have used  Varathane Diamond Wood Finish with great success. It is available from Home Depot or similar and in a satin or gloss finish.

Make sure you get the outdoor version. It has UV protection so won't yellow over time.

Makes a great resist too for antiquing.

Eric, thank you very much for your advice!

Also, afaik there's a Japanese matte finish available at Goods Japan, http://goodsjapan.com/craft-sha-leathercraft-water-resistant-acrylic-resin-leather-lacquer-matt-100ml-322-p.asp

I have one bottle of it lying around here but didn't give it a try yet. It's not that expensive and I can get it from a local distributor in my country. Maybe that's available at your place too.

21 hours ago, charon said:

Also, afaik there's a Japanese matte finish available at Goods Japan, http://goodsjapan.com/craft-sha-leathercraft-water-resistant-acrylic-resin-leather-lacquer-matt-100ml-322-p.asp

I have one bottle of it lying around here but didn't give it a try yet. It's not that expensive and I can get it from a local distributor in my country. Maybe that's available at your place too.

Thank you, Charon. Unfortunately, I could not find the finish you mentioned in Ukraine. And if i order it, the price, including delivery, will probably be prohibitive. But in any case, your information is useful. While I'll try to use acrylic lacquer in the spray. I hope the result does not disappoint me :)

@ABHandmade When you look closely at the link I provided, you can see at the right side that goodsjapan.com ships free worldwide, regardless of the value in your cart. So the price for the finish is in essence $14.99. I don't know customs in the Ukraine but in my coutry everything under €22 is free of taxes and custom fees. Delivery time could be an issue if you can't wait...Good luck with the acrylic lacquer, please update us about the results. 

1 hour ago, charon said:

@ABHandmade When you look closely at the link I provided, you can see at the right side that goodsjapan.com ships free worldwide, regardless of the value in your cart. 

I did not notice. Thank you for drawing my attention to this!
I'll probably make an order and compare the results of everything that I was advised in this thread

The Angelus Brand makes a matte acrylic finish. Here is a link to their store: https://angelusdirect.com/collections/acrylic-finisher

report on the work done :)
I tried the acrylic spray.

The result completely suits me.

Before:
before.thumb.JPG.6f405331f265f127393b712ad94125f5.JPG

After:

after.thumb.JPG.d68adc0e7a32a2b08e1333996cebfb1c.JPG

The difference in color is the unhealthy desire of my camera to make a color correction :)

Many thanks to all!

Edited by ABHandmade

That, in my view looks a lot better. I use a matte finish alot my self. Is that the satin Varathane spray you used?

12 hours ago, Jesleright said:

The Angelus Brand makes a matte acrylic finish. Here is a link to their store: https://angelusdirect.com/collections/acrylic-finisher

I have this, and used some on a coaster I made.  I did not get much water resistance from it, and had to recoat with the High Gloss acrylic finisher from Angelus.  Have you had good luck getting water resistance from the matte finisher?   If so, how did you apply it?

YinTx

7 hours ago, Instinctive said:

That, in my view looks a lot better. I use a matte finish alot my self. Is that the satin Varathane spray you used?

Unfortunately, I could not find in Ukraine a Varathane Diamond Wood Finish.

For the test, I bought an acrylic spray in the nearest DIY shop in the middle price category. Here such:

very_well_clear_mat_300-250x250.jpg.bf777a6f2ea51ac28c5a7d850432bcd3.jpg

Manufacturer MOTIP DUPLI GROUP (Europe). Price in Ukraine for 400 ml - $4.

I suspect that any universal acrylic lacquer would give a similar effect.

YinTx  I too fear that using only a spray lacquer may not give the proper water resistance effect. Therefore I applied first, as usual, finish Appretto Mild (Kenda Farben), which gave waterproofing properties and a glossy surface. And then, exclusively for decorative purposes, applied a little matte spray.

Edited by ABHandmade

I have a patent on a soy based, biodegradable paint strippers and ingredients. I checked the safety data of a lot of the acrylic finishes and to my surprise they all contain NMP.

Studies in humans show comparable results. Dermal penetration through human skin has been shown to be very rapid. NMP is rapidly biotransformed by hydroxylation to 5-hydroxy-N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone, which is further oxidized to N-methylsuccinimide; this intermediate is further hydroxylated to 2-hydroxy-N-methylsuccinimide. These metabolites are all colourless. The excreted amounts of NMP metabolites in the urine after inhalation or oral intake represented about 100% and 65% of the administered doses, respectively. NMP has a low potential for skin irritation and a moderate potential for eye irritation in rabbits. Repeated daily doses of 450 mg/kg body weight administered to the skin caused painful and severe haemorrhage and eschar formation in rabbits. These adverse effects have not been seen in workers occupationally exposed to pure NMP, but they have been observed after dermal exposure to NMP used in cleaning processes.

I used NMP is some of my formulas for soy based paint strippers in the late 90s but later had to find a substitute because it is banned in the EU. It is water soluble and works well with acrylic polymers so be careful and use gloves and a mask. In addition, many of the lacquer sprays were not acrylic and were petro-chemical based. So if it doesn't say acrylic, it probably isn't.

I find I get a luster, not a gloss, using resolene cut 50% with distilled water on vegtan with either a light neetsfoot oiling and left to saturate for a few hours in the Arizona sun, or overnight, or on untreated leather. I use one stroke with a damp sponge and the resolene is partially absorbed in the surface, preventing cracking and producing a natural luster. There is no NMP in resolene.

Bob