Aven

Shoe/Boot Making Library

I thought it would be good to gather up a list of shoe making books with authors and ISBNs.  We can do this as a running list of books.

M. De Garsault's 1776 Art of the Shoemaker translated by D.A. Saguto    ISBN 978-0-89672-650-5

The Art of Leather Inlay and Overlay by Lisa Sorrell     ISBN 978-0-7643-5121-1

Bespoke Shoemaking by Tim Skyrme     ISBN 0-9802937-0-7

The Make-it-Yourself Shoebook  by Christine Lewis Clark  no ISBN

Make Your Own Shoes by Mary  Wales Loomis.  Book is available from her website.

The Art of Boot and Shoemaking, A Practial Handbook by John B. Leno   ISBN 978-1-57898-972-0

Handmade Shoes for Men by Konemann  ISBN 3-89508-928-1

Pattern Cutting, Step by Step Patterns for Footwear  Edited by Frank Jones  ISBN 978-0-9554086-0-1

Last Designing & Making Manual (DVD sold separately) by George Koleff   no ISBN Available from walrusshoe.com and Tim Skryme

Shoes for Free People by David & Inger Runk   ISBN 0-913300-44-6

Stepping Through Time, Archaeological Footwear from Prehistoric Time until 1800 by Olaf Goubitz  Available from Oxbow Books

Make Your Own Medieval Clothing, Shoes of the High and Late Middle Ages  by Stefan von der Heide   ISBN 978-3-938922-25-5

Shoes and Pattens by Frances McGrew and Margrethe De Meergaard  ISBN 978-1-84383-238-6

DVDs

The Art of Shoemaking   featuring Glen Leasure  available from healthyhandmakeshores.com

Make Your Own Scandianavian Turnshoe  with Jason Hovatter available from laughingcrowe.com

I actually just got Lisa Sorrell's inlay/overlay book recently.  It's amazing and I highly recommend it, but I wouldn't call it a shoemaking book, even if cowboy boots are how the technique is often used. 

You can download (free of rights... 1776 :) )

L'art du cordonnier by de Garsault(the art of shoemaking) .. here http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k1511239h.r=Art du cordonnier garsault?rk=21459;2

You have to be able to read french!

10 hours ago, SheltathaLore said:

I actually just got Lisa Sorrell's inlay/overlay book recently.  It's amazing and I highly recommend it, but I wouldn't call it a shoemaking book, even if cowboy boots are how the technique is often used. 

I agree it isn't a shoe making book per se, but it does a great job of breaking down inlays/overlays.  I'd call it an advanced style technique book. 

8 hours ago, villalolo said:

You can download (free of rights... 1776 :) )

L'art du cordonnier by de Garsault(the art of shoemaking) .. here http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k1511239h.r=Art du cordonnier garsault?rk=21459;2

You have to be able to read french!

Thanks for the link! 

Unfortunately my French is nonexistent so I'll have to stick with Saguto's translation. 

Might not be a bad idea to include information on where to get some of the harder-to-find books (for example: as far as I know, Bespoke Shoemaking is only available from Walrus Shoe in the US, and a shop in Australia).

3 hours ago, SheltathaLore said:

Might not be a bad idea to include information on where to get some of the harder-to-find books (for example: as far as I know, Bespoke Shoemaking is only available from Walrus Shoe in the US, and a shop in Australia).

You can get a signed copy of Tim's books here.

https://www.shoemakingbook.com/purchase page.htm

He also has some other books, but I'm too pooped to dig thru them right now.

Books available from Tim Skyrme at shoemakingbook.com

Bespoke Shoemaking, A Comprehensive Guide to Handmade Footwear *

Simple Sandalmaking, Sandals Anyone Can Make

Shoe and Boot Designing Manual *

Step by Step Pattern Cutting

Sole Press Patterns  - not a book, but useful information none the less.

* Also available from Walrusshoe.com

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

You can get a signed copy of Tim's books here.

https://www.shoemakingbook.com/purchase page.htm

He also has some other books, but I'm too pooped to dig thru them right now.

Yup, he signed mine.

I didn't notice before, but if you scroll down the page he has bundled up his books and taken a few dollars off to sweeten the deal.

Yeah, but I was barely able to afford the one book.

13 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Yeah, but I was barely able to afford the one book.

Oh I get that.  Its taken me years to gather up my books.  One year I got lucky with the exchange rate when I ordered a book from Tim, saved about $20 USD.  The next time, the exchange rate wasn't really in my favor.  I check eBay, Abe Books and Powell's pretty regularly for shoe books.  I've scored a couple that way.  But it's a hard go of it if you don't have a title/author to search for.  That's part of why I started the thread, to find out about books others have found.

Hmm, this exists, and is $0.99 for Kindle.  It's another 1800s reprint.  No idea if it's any good, but I snagged the Kindle version anyway.

Designing, Cutting and Grading Boot and Shoe Patterns, and Complete Manual for the Stitching Room

https://www.amazon.com/Designing-Cutting-Patterns-Complete-Stitching/dp/1473338271