Brianm77

Ear ring parts

Good morning all,

my daughter is of the driving age.  She has a medical condition that keeps her from driving, and it will be really difficult for the wife and I to get her to anykind of job while she is in school. 

She has at least a slight interest in leather and other crafty stuff. Me being dad and trying to help as much as I can, I had a thought.  There are leather ear rings all over the interwebs. Some of them pretty simple and could be made pretty quick.  I thought we could get into this pretty easy and cheep.  I would let her deside how much or little to put into it.   And if her attention span get the better of her then we can just quit and we won’t be out much.

Last Christmas the wife tried to make some and it did not go very well. She found some of the hook parts on amazon probably the cheapest ones.  We ruined almost as many as we made.   And even the ones that turned out did not look like very good quality.  I figured I would post on here and see if some of you could link me up with some quality hooks. Or even some place to shop that does not sell junk.  And if you can’t tell I don’t know the terminology to really search for or really how to identify good stuff looking at someone’s web sight. 

Please help,

Brian

Brian,

Please take a look at www.ohiotravelbag.com We are a hardware/leather working supply company who has been in business since 1908.

We do not have any order minimum requirements and you can sign up for a wholesale account to receive better pricing if you plan to move forward with her leather crafting. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at 800-800-1941, we are always happy to help.

Respectfully,

Rebecca Wiseman- Customer Service/Sales Manager  

I have ordered a bunch of stuff from Ohio Travel Bag in my budding leatherworking hobby.  I am glad you said something, I did not think of OTB for ear ring parts and I will keep y’all in mind.  However this post was more about getting some insight on others experiences. 

Check out https://www.riogrande.com/ for good quality parts and tools, as well as a good resource to learn more about what's available and how to use it. Their prices are very good for what you're getting.

That's a really great idea for supporting your daughter!  You're a great dad. :D

I second Rio Grande - they have a lot of good stuff, and their technical department is really helpful if you have questions

So I have another question.  Is there any kind of finish she should stay away from?  My wife tried to make some last year and six months later they are discolored.  She bought the cheep stuff from Hobby Lobby.   I mean stearlung silver, stainless, plated brass. 

Or is it just the difference in cheep sterling silver vs better sterling silver?

i just went and looked and the cheep stuff the wife bought only says nickel free. 

Edited by Brianm77
Add something

If you make earrings for pierced ears you have one immediate problem, The wires need to be safe  as in no infections. 

Visit "Peter Maine's" website. View his jewelry. Drool. Lol

Now I realize everyone doesn't have the artistic ability of Peter. Your concern for your daughter and something for her to do with her time is admirable, I have three daughters and would do almost anything for either one.

I am thinking this is a very competitive area of leather working you are thinking about. I made a boat load of jewelry when first beginning in leather, 60 plus years ago. Sold very little and still have some in a cabinet to remind me not to do it again.

Even Key Fobs would be better. Finishes on personal items are very complicated. So many folks are allergic to their own skin these days let alone ear wires.

Ferg

It sure seems like a lot of them get sold on etsy she has kinda a short attention span, so I was thinking they could be mocked out pretty quick compared to most leather projects.  I think it would do her good to get a couple quick completed projects under her belt.    I also had some quick bracelets or something in mind. 

Sterling silver oxidizes, so will always tarnish eventually depending on how it is used, cleaned and stored.  That's why few people buy or use silver plate anymore.  Saw a 12 place setting silverware set in a really nice chest a few months ago at an antique shop.  $25 CAN asking price.

Most findings need to be SS.

Tom