Hi I'm new to this forum but have been hobby sewing for years! I have been making leather tote and handbags using different weights of leather but I realize I need a post bed sewing machine probably a walking foot. Any suggestions  I have a limited budget and after research I am not thrilled that everything is made in China even the high end names  if I buy used will there be a parts issue, any help is greatly appreciated!

If you want a non-chines machine, you'll need to be ready to spend a LOT of money.  That being said, the chinese machines are pretty good and parts are readily available for most of them.  I will move this to the sewing machine section so @Wizcrafts can take a crack at it.

2 hours ago, Strega said:

Hi I'm new to this forum but have been hobby sewing for years! I have been making leather tote and handbags using different weights of leather but I realize I need a post bed sewing machine probably a walking foot. Any suggestions  I have a limited budget and after research I am not thrilled that everything is made in China even the high end names  if I buy used will there be a parts issue, any help is greatly appreciated!

Post machines allow you to sew in any direction by rotating the work. They are about the only type of machine that lets you sew across the outside bottom of a bag to secure straps. I've used them to make and repair hats. I have a friend that makes custom shoes and uses a post machine for sewing partially shaped uppers.

Some of the older Singer post machines were purpose built with fixed short stitch lengths (especially those intended to sew decorative stitches on shoes). This might be a limiting factor if you unknowing buy a used machine like that. I had to pass on one selling for $250 with a fixed length of about 24 stitches per inch. I wouldn't even look at a post machine that doesn't let you change the stitch length to 5 per inch by turning a knob or moving a lever.

Another thing about the old post machines is that some are limited in their thread size capacity to no more than #69 bonded thread, or less. This would be a negative factor for sewing bags that would require #92 or #138 bonded thread for structural integrity.

As you alluded to, parts can be a problem for very old post machines. Some parts can only be had by salvaging them from another similar model machine. That is if a salvage machine can be obtained. The Chinese after-parts network doesn't usually include parts for ancient and obscure sewing machines. Those that are made may or may not fit properly (as in patcher drive gears) without alteration (file, grinder, buffer, Emery cloth, etc), or at all.

Old reconditioned post bed machines can be found selling for around $1300, complete with a motor and table. Private sellers may let them go for much less to get rid of them (circa $800 - $1000). Ancient Singer roller foot machines can be found selling for under $600 all set up, as is.

Modern post machines are usually more flexible in thread handling and stitch length specs. I've seen as few at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines that can easily pass #138 thread at longer than 5 per inch. But, they cost at least $2000. Pfaff and Juki make really nice, full featured post machines, but prepare to pay accordingly.

Feed systems

Post machines come in several different types of feed with the most prominent being a roller foot, which provides maximum visibility of the needle. Variants of that are the common bottom driven only, or top and bottom gear driven rollers. The latter is more expensive and has more moving parts. Another system is compound feed walking feet, which you are aware of and is best for climbing over layers. Last, there are flat foot bottom driven post machines which work fine on mostly flat surfaces.

If you are in business, get the best, most recently built machine you or your bank can afford. You don't want down time from a 70 or 80 year old machine that needs a part that is made of unobtanium.

Used machine and parts availability depends a lot on where on this planet your are located. High-quality used Pfaff and Durkopp Adler machines that are somewhat rare here in the U.S., are very common in Europe and other parts of the world.

You can save a good deal of money if you can make do with a cylinder arm machine, which are much more common and affordable. It really depends on the design of your bags.

If you really do need a walking foot post bed machine, wait a little, make some more bags and save up money for a good one.

In the 70's and 80's a good industrial post bed sewing machine cost as much as a small car. Today they cost MUCH less than a small car.  

Thank you all for the advice  I have a consew 227r cylinder that only knows two speeds Mach and Off! I will change the clutch motor later, that said it can't do what I need!  I think I will work on other projects (or lots of overtime) and get a newer machine. I was set on a German or Japanese machine but that seems out of the picture for now.  I also have a Juki 1541s, I needed the post bed to reinforce my outside seams (I sew them on the Juki mainly by feel of the seam which is very difficult bc the weight of the leather and usually it is in the blind.  Are there any  machines you would recommend for my needs!  Thank again for the expert advice!

We can't really make meaningful recommendations unless we know roughly where you live and what your budget actually is. If your budget is less than $1K then you're plain out of luck unless a minor miracle happens on your local Craigslist. 

Can you show us a picture of the type of seam that the other machines won't sew well? Industrial sewing machines are often one-seam wonders, which means they're great for exactly one type of seam or sewing operation, and a compromise for everything else. 

I live outside of Chicago, my budget is around $2500  thanks again!

1524880114648-919176875.thumb.jpg.78c622dbb5f969c7df9d94f980d996f9.jpg

1524880205757-1627216067.jpg

That side seam looks indeed like a candidate for a rare post bed or a super rare up-the-arm cylinder arm machine.

That budget and location puts you in the ballpark of some great made-in-Germany vintage post bed machines like the Pfaff 1295 and the Durkopp Adler 268. 

I sold a Pfaff 1295 some time ago and made a demo video for it (throat plates are hard to find for these machines, other common parts are readily available. Presser feet are plentiful and affordable.) :

I still have two Durkopp Adler 268 walking foot post bed machines, one single and a double needle. They are perhaps my favorite vintage walking foot post beds - glorious machines from a time and place where engineers ruled. Highly recommended and worth about $2K for a head (table and servo motor adds about $300.) Parts availability is generally good for these machines (except for the main shaft, of all things.) Lots of presser feet options for the single needle version. My single needle 268 is partly disassembled right now for cleaning. Below is a picture of the double needle Durkopp Adler 268. 

IMG_0487.jpg

Hi Uwe, I have 2 adler 268s. Can I sew harness leather 2 layer of 7 oz? Or is this pushing the limit. I don't want to abuse these machines.

It should handle depending on how hard the leather is.

glenn

Dear all

I am quite new to the art and I'm considering between single and double needle PFAFFs. Can you use double needle machine in single needle configuration?

Best regards, S

2 hours ago, SamWest35 said:

Dear all

I am quite new to the art and I'm considering between single and double needle PFAFFs. Can you use double needle machine in single needle configuration?

Best regards, S

Absolutely! You have to remove the left needle and its thread and bobbin. You can the sew with the right needle and bobbin and its top thread path and tensioners.

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Absolutely! You have to remove the left needle and its thread and bobbin. You can the sew with the right needle and bobbin and its top thread path and tensioners.

Thank you Wiz! I think I'll get the double needle one as it costs the same as the single needle one.

Are there any benefits to buy the single only machine?

Best regards, S

14 hours ago, SamWest35 said:

Are there any benefits to buy the single only machine?

Yes. There are fewer rotating parts on a single needle machine. All those unused moving parts need oil and add to the friction when running the machine. There may be a problem finding compatible alternate presser feet for single needle use in a double needle machine (depending on the machine).

You should not buy a double needle machine with the intention of only using one needle, unless it falls off the truck and into your lap.

The post of an one-needle machine is significant smaller

and you can sew closer to the edge (of the post)

Edited by Michiel

1 minute ago, Michiel said:

The post of an one-needle machine is significant smaller

and you can sew closer to the edge

And you can get standard feet that work for it.

I have a Cowboy CB 8810B

I can sew two lines of stitching with my single needle that you would be hard pressed to know it wasn't two needle.

Mine has top and bottom drive wheels. I have stitched within a Millimeter of the edge.

I can only hope I really learn to use this machine. It is a "honey". Very quiet probably due to all the sealed roller bearings it has. Only a few spots to keep oiled.

I sewed some 1/4" leather, (two pieces) the other day. Only thing you need to do is adjust the amount of down pressure on the upper drive wheel.

Didn't try it with 138 thread. Had #40 on the machine set up for shoes . Size 12 needle had no problem with piercing the leather.

Ferg