Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

aluminum templates

I thnk I've hit upon exactly what I've been looking for, aluminum templates. For my briefcases, I need a series of rectangular patterns that will allow me simply to cut the leather out around the pattern, rather than tracing the pattern and then cutting out using a straight edge.

Why not have all my rectangular patterns made out of aluminum sheeting. The patterns will last forever, and I could simply cut out my pieces around the pattern itself?

Have any of you ever done this, or do you use some other hard, durable material for your patterns?

The best source I've seen for aluinum is https://www.speedymetals.com/t-service.aspx

a 1/10" 12"x24" sheet of aluminum is $14.

Ed

Yes, I have a whole box of metal templates- everything from wallets to cigarette cases to checkbooks. A friend gave them to me as a gift, and they have been very handy through the years. Each one is labeled with a Sharpie pen, and they do not wear out or leave marks on the leather. For your needs, Ed, it's still not going to be as fast as clicking, but it will probably reduce hide waste.

Johanna

Yes, I have a whole box of metal templates- everything from wallets to cigarette cases to checkbooks. A friend gave them to me as a gift, and they have been very handy through the years. Each one is labeled with a Sharpie pen, and they do not wear out or leave marks on the leather. For your needs, Ed, it's still not going to be as fast as clicking, but it will probably reduce hide waste.

Johanna

I just got off the phone with Speedy Metals. I gave them measurements for 8 templates. They're going to punch the numbers into their electronic cutting machine, and Voila. $53 plus $10 shipping. Charges are just for the .100" 6061-T6 aluminum, no cutting charges.

Ed

Ed,

I have had the same thing done for my vest patterns. The only problem I have had with the aluminium, is that when you use a knife to cut around the plate, the blade tends to catch the aluminium very easily. Other than that, it's one of the best investments into pattern material I've made.

Ken

Ed,

I have had the same thing done for my vest patterns. The only problem I have had with the aluminium, is that when you use a knife to cut around the plate, the blade tends to catch the aluminium very easily. Other than that, it's one of the best investments into pattern material I've made.

Ken

What about coating the edges with some kind of resin?

ed

Ed,

I would think that not only would it make your pattern that much more bigger, but your blade would must likely catch that as well. What I've done in most cases is just hold the blade at a bit of an angle away from the edge. It will take a bit of practice but it does work well.

It's just a bit annoying when the blade does catch, thats all.

Ken