pitersek

Knife sheath for middleearth style knife

Hello, I would like to present you my last work - knife sheath for a knife by polish knifemaker Giedymin Kapuscinski.

Knife is Dunedain Fighter - Middle Earth Series. So I tried to make my sheath also in middleearth style. It is just my impression, I like to think that there once was an elf who carried set like this :).

I used veg tan leather, fiebings oil dye, eco flo antique gel, and barry king stamp. All stitching is made by hand, using 9 SPI iron, and 6 SPI chisel.

If you have any questions about technical issues - please ask, I will do my best to answer.

It would mean a lot if you give me your thoughts about it!

gDAVxER.jpg

PNmnwJI.jpg

dP1W5HY.jpg

CtobACh.jpg

h6fkLnx.jpg

N6Pu5OK.jpg

Co5KjT3.jpg

bwcHvYP.jpg

vALfeK3.jpg

N6mQSPV.jpg

x8j4AaE.jpg

g3HxjD2.jpg

Xf7ZKss.jpg

85midDd.jpg

That is a beautiful combo.

I'm no elf. And I don't play one in TV either but that's a sweet combo 

Beautiful work and the detail is amazing.  Your edges also are superb and that is a solid knife to go with it!  What weight leather did you use for the various pieces?

Gary

Stunning work!

I am not sure if I am more impressed with your leather skills or your photography skills. lol Love the color combos and your burnishing is beautiful!

The knife and sheath are both spectacular!  True craftsmanship is a beautiful thing to behold.

One of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

Very nice! Did you make the knife as well? 

Very well designed and executed. Well done! And that's a lovely blade as well.

Wow, thank you all very much for such a kind words!

21 hours ago, garypl said:

Beautiful work and the detail is amazing.  Your edges also are superb and that is a solid knife to go with it!  What weight leather did you use for the various pieces?

Gary

Gary there was a range from 1 oz to 9 oz :).

Back of the sheath (part with my logo) is about 9 oz, also as stitch protecting layers inside. Front tooled panel is about 5 oz, and the "frame" on the "face" of the sheath is 4 oz, belt loop is lined with very thin 1 oz layer of leather, skived by hand.

18 hours ago, doublehbar said:

I am not sure if I am more impressed with your leather skills or your photography skills. lol Love the color combos and your burnishing is beautiful!

Thanks man, my photography is never ending story of me being not happy with the results :). Now I am able to make decent pictures when I go outside about one hour before the sun set ;). That is the time when pictures come out decent, other times - always something wrong.

3 hours ago, Chief Filipino said:

Very nice! Did you make the knife as well? 

Thank you! No, the knife was made by Giedymin KApusciński - polish knife maker, I think you can find him on facebook. Lots of very nice knives in this style, and many others.

Great work.

Exceptional work, color choice, stitching, stamping, and all. The knife is awesome and the sheath rises to meet it. You did VERY well. I love how your antiquing on the stamping pops on the dangler, that is super cool.

Inspiring stuff. Really like the contrast of the two different leathers. Great work

Thanks guys! Means a lot! I am really glad you like it :).

On 30.04.2018 at 3:39 AM, battlemunky said:

[...] I love how your antiquing on the stamping pops on the dangler, that is super cool.

I must admit, stamping and antiquing on the dangler come out nice :)

On 30.04.2018 at 9:58 AM, noobleather said:

Inspiring stuff. Really like the contrast of the two different leathers. Great work

Thanks, I wasn't 100% sure about this color combination, but it come out well.

Your sheath compliments the knife beautifully.

Awesome work and it looks great!

I have a question.  What stamp did you use.  Kinda looks like a Barry King cresent shell stamp, but what size?

Thank you,

Vikefan

@pitersek  I think this shows a well matched knife and sheath with potential for more excellent combinations in the future. Sadly it takes me back to a close friend of mine for many years who aside from jewellery enjoyed making knives. In Adelaide here in Australia they  have a large once a year knife show and for many years Maurice (Morrie) would travel up the coast to my place, and together we would set about making a knife pouch or two for the next up coming show. I would ask Morrie how did the knife show go and he'd always reply "pretty good" and smile as always. He died back in 2013 and not until I was at his funeral did I find out that he won the award for the "Art knife" prise for many many years in a row. He always chipped me for being too fussy and as the years went by, in 2012 he stopped entering in order for other entrants to win.I understand they now have a Maurice McCarthy award there. He was a true friend and I still miss him. The picture following shows a few of the projects we worked on together. I hope this may inspire you on further.

RnfM5.jpgcache.php.jpg

Awesome knives and sheaths. But the story is better than both 

3 hours ago, kiwican said:

Awesome knives and sheaths. But the story is better than both 

I do agree somewhat but as Morrie always reminded me it is a knife show NOT a sheath show and he always won when he entered them anyway.:dunno: They both should stand out but the knife should be the centre piece in a Knife show.

Very fancy... could wear it to a dinner party with the wife.

On 5.05.2018 at 7:46 AM, Vikefan said:

[...]

I have a question.  What stamp did you use.  Kinda looks like a Barry King cresent shell stamp, but what size? [...]

It is Barry King cresent shell indeed! :) Number one, the smaler one.

@RockyAussie thank you very much for sharing this story! Your friend sounds like a truly great person. I can only imagine how muchis he missed.

Very very nice, inspiring