Sign in to follow this  
abn

standard heel-bar buckles alternatives?

I like the standard heel-bar buckles that Tandy carries, but I'd like to find a supplier that carries a much wider variety of shapes and styles, most especially some buckles that are up-scale looking and would look good on a belt made for a woman.

Does anyone have any recommendations? (I'm just a hobbyist, so please don't suggest wholesale-only companies like Ohio Travel Bag).

Thanks in advance, -Alex

I like the standard heel-bar buckles that Tandy carries, but I'd like to find a supplier that carries a much wider variety of shapes and styles, most especially some buckles that are up-scale looking and would look good on a belt made for a woman.

Does anyone have any recommendations? (I'm just a hobbyist, so please don't suggest wholesale-only companies like Ohio Travel Bag).

Thanks in advance, -Alex

I like these no. 12 buckles

http://www.siegelofca.com/itemdetail.asp?prodid=895

I've got to place an order on Monday with OTB. If you want anything from them I can include it in my order, then forward it to you.

Ed

You can also try Montana Silversmiths. http://www.montanasilversmiths.com/

The only sell through dealers.

Montana Silvers majority of products are electroplated brass. It is very overpriced junk in other words. If that is the route you are considering why not buy sterling overlay from Hansen's Silver or Kustom Kraft etc. The price difference between M.S. and these companies is very small and you will actually get some silver from them. Greg

Alex,

I have to agree with Greg. Even the "upscale stuff" sold by most of the craft outlets is very mediocre and high priced for what it is. If you compare the Montana Silver to anything else, it is shallow and PLAIN. Hansen's silver is available at several outlets, one being Weaver, although not cataloged as being from Hansens. Hidecrafters used to carry some of Hansens as well, not sure if they still do. By the time it has gone through a reseller and then a retailer, the price has gone way up. Two options. It is not all that hard to get a resale number in most states. That will open up many more supplier sources to you. If you don't want to do that, get with someone who does have a resale number and order through them. In the case of Hansen's, they are on the other side of town from me, and we are there on average at least once a week. I would be glad to pick up whatever you need and deal with you on it, I have done it for others. They have plate which is tons better than Montana, overlay, and solid sterling - depending on purpose and economics.

When you get past the commercial sellers like Hansens and B-C (which are also local) and the like, then you get into custom hand silvermakers, and they charge a rate commensurate with what we charge for custom handmade leatherwork.

Bruce Johnson